Joining up.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Up until last week I was a helper with a Scout Troop. Having spoken to the DC I've now applied for an Explorer leader warrant. Although the DC thought perhaps I would like the post of DC Explorers, but I think thats too big a jump.

When I finally get my warrant can anyone tell me if there is a Scouters forum anywhere on the interweb?. I feel I need to spread word of Old Fashioned Scouting (Bushcraft).

Nick P

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Good on you welcome to scouting.
Not seen any forums for scouters myself, apart from "leaders chatter" on here.
I dont blame you giving the DESC role a miss though!Far too much paperwork!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
have you completed the first part of your training? - ie module 1,2 and 3? until these have been completed under the new system the appointments sec cannot even forward your aa form to hq to apply for a warrant!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
According to the DC it was forwarded to the Apointments committe and nothing has happened. No training, no training advisor, no contact.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'd chase it mate!

better still move to wiltshire and join my District! ;)

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Wookey said:
Your not alone in having to wait, here in Cumbria too.
There are far to many talented enthusiastic people lost to Scouting through poor managment! :soapbox:

You can say that again! Having said that, my wife is a Guider and they have much less of a 'management structure', but still have a problem with getting/keeping leaders.

Back to the original point, there is a uk.rec.scouting forum, get it on Google here: http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.scouting?lnk=gschg&hl=en

It's pretty well used (at least used to be), but does get a bit political sometimes!

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Just an update. After three years I am still waiting for my warrant although its purely academic now as I shall not be continuing as an Explorer Leader after the Summer. To be fair to the DC he has admitted that the aplication is probably lost!

I have volunteered to be a Backwoods/survival training resource within the District and County but no one seems interested. So I shall do occasional camping/backwoods/survival skills training with the Explorers units. I recently had a good evening instructing some of the local Rangers in Fires and Cooking, it seems the Explorers with whom they share a hut with were not interested in helping them.

I find it odd that since I applied for a warrant I have had no official status within the District apart from an initial contact with the DC I have had none of the training, advice, mentoring etc that seems to go on according to HQ.

I can now answer a question I asked some time ago... Yes there is a good online forum for Scouts and leaders in the form of Escouts.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I recently had a good evening instructing some of the local Rangers in Fires and Cooking, it seems the Explorers with whom they share a hut with were not interested in helping them.

Explorers not taking the chance to help out girls!!!!????
surely firelighting is the perfect chance to show of your manly caveman side.
something wrong with them if you ask me. wouldn't happen at my explorer group. :D

(i'm obviously assuming you mean rangers in the context of the guideing equivilent of explorers)

uncle_stuffy

Jun 16, 2008
Brighouse
THe CRB takes three times as long for the police to pricess, than our scout association - although I don't think speedy is part of their culture.... three years does along time but goes beyond most scout timings. That aside I have two comments for the stream above (10 years as a leader) :

I would not want to hold any position above SL becuase I love the contact with the scouts - they keep us all young - and it is what scouting is about.

Having girls in the troop changes the dynamics for the better - it is a shame it was not done sooner.

Our district has its fair share of the inept being in charge of everyone else? (power struggle???) Does every one else have that problem? What did BP start scouting for?

Sorry if I have stood aloft my soap box

Kindets regards to you all

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
just a quick post

for all your scouting needs head over to escouts.org.uk

they are a friendly bunch and always willing to help from anything to programmes to your training

enjoy your scouting

webbie

edit: if you have not heard anything yet it may be an idea to contact gilwell ( the uk hq) and ask for your regional training advisors contact information and see if they can help you?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
ACF seems to be the exact opposite, the same problems exist with adult retention, but that causes training (sometimes I feel) for the sake of training. Always being pushed to do more courses and cos of retention some people are promoted before they are ready. But 3 years, I think I would have moved on long ago, I would be feeling unappreciated having no word for that length of time.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
THe CRB takes three times as long for the police to pricess, than our scout association - although I don't think speedy is part of their culture.... three years does along time but goes beyond most scout timings. That aside I have two comments for the stream above (10 years as a leader) :

I would not want to hold any position above SL becuase I love the contact with the scouts - they keep us all young - and it is what scouting is about.

Having girls in the troop changes the dynamics for the better - it is a shame it was not done sooner.

Our district has its fair share of the inept being in charge of everyone else? (power struggle???) Does every one else have that problem? What did BP start scouting for?

Sorry if I have stood aloft my soap box

Kindets regards to you all

I can honestly say this says much of what I would say especially the bit about girls in the Troop unfortunately I have none at the moment.

I am similiar in experience in years etc and with the power struggle for some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE