jews ear

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i went for a wander today and founds loads of jews ear fungi. i am fairly confident recognising it, i know that it grows mostly on elder etc. but just want to make sure, is there any other fungi that i could mistake for it?
also what is the best way to cook it? i have only ever eaten it raw befor (after somebody else ID'd it who knew what they were doing)

heres a big patch of it i found today (please excuse my camera phone lol)
Image066.jpg

many thanks
pete

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
According to the River Cottage Handbook on mushrooms, John Wright reckons if it's on a tree and not the ground it shouldn't be poisonous, and says there are many jelly fungi but no others look like ears and none are known to be poisonous. Keep in mind that's what I've read in a book that happens to be in front of me, I'm far from expert in this field!!! I couldn't imagine eating them raw, I boiled some for an hour last Saturday in a stew and they tasted fine but were still rubbery...

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yeah, easily recognisable eh? best sliced thin and stewed or boiled in milk with some pepper to serve tbh.
only go for the younger ones as the older ones get rubbery, and don't bother with the stems either ;)
they get soft after rain apparently but don't quote me on that as i've never had em after a rainfall.
decent haul tho.
the other day i found a birch polypor just lay on the ground (fresh) didn't know what it was so left it after a good look mind.
get home and find out its the strop fungus.... typical i could have used it.
still at least i know where they grow round here ;)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
it has a strange taste when raw, it tasts a bit like blood and is a bit freaky because its like youv biten your tongue:eek:

im prety sure have seen it on feild maple too? or could that have been something else?

pete

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
its pretty distinguishable, the only other jelli fungi's are either like antlers or luminous yellow or black brains! with perhaps the odd club or blob thrown in of course.
they're propper wierd tho...

a good initial guide is the little collins gem book but for final conf i usually look it up on http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/ its pretty extensive but if there's ever a shred of doubt i just don't bother eating it.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
they really do look like an ear underneath and are unmistakable in my view. I ate loads over the weekend mostly raw after I told the kids "I eat monsters ears"........GRAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have tried lots of ways of cooking them but my preferred way is to slice them up thinly, season with salt and pepper, mix with a thickish batter, form into small balls and deep fry. You could add any seasoning you like. You can also mix in some chopped onion. Not easy to do in the bush I admit but worth doing at home.

Be warned if you do not slice it thinly or if you put a whole piece into hot water or oil it will virtually explode as the fungus is like a bladder that swells up when heated.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I really like it fresh. I think it tastes like mushroom but with a nice crisp bite. If my partner would accept it (which she wont) then I think they would slice nicely into a salad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE