Jerky advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Right I can understand marinades and in fact already have a plan.

But how thickly should the beef be sliced??

Cheers
GS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
5mm was too thick for beef and pork.
I think the meateaters in the family decided that 2 or 3mm was about right, but I did wonder if it were cut to 1mm would it turn into little meaty crisps though.

cheers,
Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, with enough heat you can dry most things. I sliced up a half price roast and turned it into a sort of biltong/jerky in the kitchen oven over night on the lowest setting, with the door open, and some of those slices were a touch more than half an inch thick when fresh.

Thicker slices make it less of a snack food since it will be slower to pick up atmospheric moisture and its easier to carry, but harder to eat in the hand.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The 5mm stuff was too tough said my carnivores...........did the long slow cook/ oven dry out make an easily chewed jerky ??

cheers,
Toddy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Most of the beef I've jerkied has been around 5mm or more, as a rule I can't cut it thin and even enough so I don't try. What I do do is score the meat in a criss-cross fashion so it dries out evenly and quicker though. Criss-crossing also helps you bit off little pieces too.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I've only made jerky once but I cut it about 3mm thick and dried it overnight in the oven. It came out dry but slightly chewy which was OK. I put far too much tariyaki and soy sauce in the marinade though so its not that pallatable.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
between 3-5mm is what i did with mine, 7 hours in the oven and they were fine, not too chewy anyhoo, but then i like my jerky a little chewy.
like the idea of cutting up a roast tho, that sounds a bit cheaper then buying steaks! heh
pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE