Jelly Fungi ID?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Came across this Fungi today, at least I hope its fungi! It wasn't to be found in my mushroom book :( When disturbed it did come away like soft jelly.

jelly1.jpg

jelly2.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
They are supposed to be edible, if you want to go for that bushtucker trial experiance.

I have entertained the idea, fried up with ramsons but I was kind of glad that someone walked past and trod on them. Uuummm eyeballs of slime.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
Edible!? In that state? Not for me thanks :p :sulkoff:

I still find it strange that the look of a food is so important, I mean whats the difference between an eggy looking slime ball and a pink flat piece of ham, surely pink should be more dangerous than eggy? Even after years of eating rabbit i still cringe a bit on the first mouthfull but enjoy the rest of the meal.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is not the egg thing it is the slimy thing and knowing that at it matures into something that is even more disgusting looking and smelly. I have eaten the slime that is found between the leaves on bulrushes but stinkhorn has a real eyeball thing.

It is commonly found in large numbers around himalyian balsam patches. Where is one there is normally enough to make a meal that can gathered very quickly.

So any volunteers?:sulkoff:

fungi2bwith

Feb 27, 2008
hampshire
I've tried these. You don't eat the jelly (at least I didn't), you scrape it off and eat the stuff inside raw. It tasted pleasantly nutty, but as good as most edible mushrooms. It is not something I would search out for its culinary value.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I´ve eaten them as well on a guided fungi walk. An unexpected pleasant nutty taste. Not something you would expect from the looks of it. The ´egg´also is quite eerie to hold in your hands, it is soft, jelly-like and much heavier than it looks.

Cheers,

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE