japanese sharpening stone OR gransfors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
Hi folks,
I haven't been here since a long time. I have one simple question - I need a sharpening stone, but something that would be good for sharpening my Mora knife and a Gransfors axe.
I was thinking about a waterstone.
Now I was thinking about two solutions:
>> a combination (1000/6000) japanese sharpening stone (I can get the KING cheap as seen on the picture)
>> or a gransfors sharpening stone (also a combination, but what grit?)

Both are waterstones. But what is better for sharpening both, a knife and an axe? Could be a japanese sharpening stone used for an axe? Or the small gransfors "puck" to sharpen a knife? (what about the grit of the stone, is it good for a mora?).
Thanks.

Images for ilustration:
king.jpg

stonesm.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I bought that very stone, I was going to cut it in half for use as a small camp stone, but I don't think the grits are coarse enough. I would have preferred an 800/1200 as I don't want the lovely polish when I'm in the field, I can do that on my bench stones at home.

I'm still trying to pluck up the courage and break the news to my wife!!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ihave the Gransfors Puck - its a great tool for sharpening an axe. I think you could sharpen a knife on it but it would be hard work! I have a DC4 diamond / ceramic which works well as a field sharpener - so would some of those double sided EZE laps I would think (on both knife and axe). At home, the bench stone would put a great edge on axe or knife (better than the puck due to being able to get a longer sweep).

Red

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I'd have the Jap stone, thats what I use for my GB axe. I find that I hold onto one half and sharpen with the other half using a circular motion. Its easy to use the big stone on an axe, but I imagine it would be much more difficult to use the puck on a knife....

Daniel_sk

Feb 13, 2005
Slovakia
Ok, thanks for the answers. :You_Rock_
So I will buy the japanese waterstone - that's what I wanted, but I wasn't sure. The KING waterstones aren't that expensive, I think I can get one for about 30 Euro with shipping. I will sharpen the knives/axe at home, so I don't need special small sharpening stones.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I use a set of Arkansas oilstones, but I dry hone with them just as John Juranitch of Razors Edge Systems recommends. It makes a huge difference in terms of sharpness, but the stones must be tapped and cleaned quite often.

Of course, I don't use them much because I don't get a chance to go bushcrafty very often and so my Clipper doesn't exactly see a whole lot of use. But I have all summer for that!

Adam

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I bought the grandsfors puck for their wildlife hatchet, and have been using it on my frosts mora - no real problems - maybe takes a little longer but it means I have the puck with me all the time and need nothing else.

Mind you the reason I'm sharpening the frosts and resisting temptation to buy another knife is to get the sharpening technique right - although father is a barber and have grown up sharpening open razors..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE