January wildflowers

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Okay, short-lived thread here. Post up pictures of wild flowers that you find in flower during the month of January. Let's see what we get.

My first two of the year are Ivy-Leaved Toadflax
8346986840_30d4a8744c_c.jpg

and Red Deadnettle
8345939793_dfce114499_c.jpg

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I've already posted Violets and Cow Parsley to this thread - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101622

Today I have Lesser Celandine (just a lonely one)
P1050389_zps0a047cf2.jpg

And also some Herb Bennet which has clung on since last year, nevertheless it is flowering in January so it goes on my January list.
P1050393_zpsb692439c.jpg

Harvestman - This is a great idea for a thread, will there be more to come for each new month? As a slightly obsessive "flower spotter" who likes to keep lists I will hopefully be able to contribute more as the year progresses.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Short walk to the shops today (without camera) found Groundsel (an all-year round flowerer) and Smooth Sow Thistle. Also something purple that I can't find in my books growing on walls. I'll have to go back with the camera.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Butterbur was flowering well today, but then it would, as it flowers before it grows leaves. Unusual, but there you go. Also, and more surprisingly, a hogweed in flower.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Well this is flowering way out of its normal time, Sea Mayweed (my book says July - September). It's not very close to the sea either.
P1150394_zps48c5af6e.jpg

It was growing on a patch of recently imported (late last summer) topsoil, so my guess is that it didn't start growing until late last year, and we haven't had sufficient frosts to kill it down here in the sunny south.

Also here is a creeping buttercup.
P1150395_zpsb8cf2e37.jpg

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Just squeaking into the January list is Cherry Plum.
P1300401.jpg

It will be a few days before the display is at its best, but that will be in February, so I thought I'd better post this today.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Is this normal? This early in the year?
No I don't think this is normal, I would probably expect this before the end of February. However, it has been an exceptionally mild winter here in the south of England, save for a few days when we had snow. Temperatures today were perhaps 12 degrees celsius. Bear in mind that this tree is within city boundaries, and temperatures in cities are generally a few degrees higher than the surrounding countryside.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No I don't think this is normal, I would probably expect this before the end of February. However, it has been an exceptionally mild winter here in the south of England, save for a few days when we had snow. Temperatures today were perhaps 12 degrees celsius. Bear in mind that this tree is within city boundaries, and temperatures in cities are generally a few degrees higher than the surrounding countryside.

Thanks, I do remember driving overnight from Inverness to the Southhampton area a few years back, It was Snowing in Inverness and the south coast looked like it was still enjoying a pleasant late summer, I was just curious as to whether cherry blossom in January was the norm down your way. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE