January Bushcraft Micoadventure.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
After several weeks stuck indoors due to incessant rain. I was looking for any chance to get out for a night in the woods. This weekend showed a clear window where not only should it not rain, but it may even drop below 0°C. It seemed a perfect chance to get out and test my winter kit.

I was joined on this trip by Silverbirch, and we headed to a bit of woodland somewhere in east Kent.

The woodland is made up over overstood hornbeam(Carpinus betulus) coppice with a smattering of Silver Birch(Betula pendula) and Chestnut(Castanea sativa).

It was a 10 minute walk from the car to our chosen camp site. When we got there Lyn pitched her tent and I started gathering fire wood. I was planning to just use my bivvi bag with no tarp, so would leave the pitching of my camp (if you can call unrolling a bivvi bag and inflating a sleep mat pitching), until I was ready for bed, that way my kit shouldn't get damp from any dew. I hung my pack off a tree by my selected camp spot, and cleared the larger logs and anything that might dig in out the way.

Wood gathered, I set a [thread=137561]small cooking fire[/thread] and sat back to drink tea in the woodland surroundings.

XT1A1776_sm.JPG

As it started to get dark, I preped dinner while I still had some light. Lyn started her dinner on the grill over the fire, while I stuck a jacket potato and my char cloth tin in the embers underneath.

XT1A1792_sm.JPG

While dinner cooked I played around with my fire lighting kit I had brought with me. I tried lighting a bit of char cloth with a flint and steel. The char cloth wasn't very good, it was from a batch that hadn't charred all the way through, so I didn't hold out much hope. I was just doing it to pass the time. Thus I was rather surprised when the char cloth caught a spark on the second strike. Normally it takes a few strikes to get a spark to land on the cloth. Not wanting to use up all my char cloth I put the fire kit away and warmed my feed by the fire while dinner cooked.

XT1A1800_sm.JPG

Dinner eaten we sat watching the fire, enjoying the surroundings until it was time for bed.

XT1A1812_sm.JPG

The fire started to die back to embers, the sky clouding over, it was time to turn in. I pitched my camp under the hornbeam tree, and crawled into my bivvi bag to watch the clouds slowly drifting across the sky.

XT1A1819_sm.JPG

Despite my efforts to warm my feet by the fire both big toes were slightly chilled in my sleeping bag and as I lay there they got colder, so do did my legs. After about half hour of hoping they would warm up, I admitted defeat and commenced the solo wrestling match that is trying to put a pair of trousers on inside a sleeping bag liner inside a sleeping bag inside a bivvi bag when the sleeping bag is a tight fit anyway... I also tried to warm my toes with my hands. Not wanting to risk being too cold I took the opportunity to put on my Páramo Torres insulated Jacket.

Fully dressed I lay down in my sleeping bag feeling hopeful of a warm nights sleep.

A few restless hours sleep later I woke with a full bladder and very numb toes. Returning from the bushes I gave my toes a longer session in my hands to coax some warmth into them. This seemed to do the trick, and as the sky started to show some signs of lightening up, I snuggled down into my sleeping bag for a few more hours sleep.

I was woken in day light to a snow flake landing on my nose. I wasn't expecting precipitation so hadn't used a tarp. Looking out from my bivvi bag it didn't look like this was a concerted effort at snow fall, and opted for cinching my bivvi bag down to a hole just large enough to breath through, rolled onto my side and went back to sleep.

Eventually the prospect of bacon was enough to lure me from my cocoon, and I grudgingly left the warm to investigate breakfast.

XT1A1825_sm.JPG

Lyn lit the fire and I cooked a couple of rounds of bacon rolls along with some coffee as we both woke up properly, trying to put off the inevitable.

Fed and watered and with the first spits of rain, we broke camp and returned to the outside world, refreshed by a very pleasant night in the woods.

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A nice report :)
I carry a stainless steel water bottle which, filled with hot water and wrapped in a spare sock, makes an excellent hot water bottle and prevents cold feet in bed... it also often stays warm all night meaning the morning brew is quicker to achieve. As I always have a bottle of water and spare socks with me the hot water bottle "costs" no weight penalty :)
I used this kind of hot water bottle, using and MOD water bottle to stave off hypothermia when things went a bit pear shaped on a trip in the Beacons in my youth - it saved my life and the bottle survived too - but Stainless Steel is more reliable :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A nice report :)
I carry a stainless steel water bottle which, filled with hot water and wrapped in a spare sock, makes an excellent hot water bottle and prevents cold feet in bed... it also often stays warm all night meaning the morning brew is quicker to achieve. As I always have a bottle of water and spare socks with me the hot water bottle "costs" no weight penalty :)
I used this kind of hot water bottle, using and MOD water bottle to stave off hypothermia when things went a bit pear shaped on a trip in the Beacons in my youth - it saved my life and the bottle survived too - but Stainless Steel is more reliable :)

My water bottle on this trip was a 1L diet coke bottle. Which wouldn't work very well as a hot water bottle. I've just ordered a pair of 500ml HDPE Nalgene bottles to use as hot water bottles. I went for 500ml as a 1L doesn't fit in my socks (small feet), having 2 means I can have one at foot level and one further up the sleeping bag, and finally my main pot is 550ml in capacity, so this seems like a good match...

Hopefully they will arrive in time for my next trip.

J

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've not seen that type of grill and stand before, looks like it works well ?

Cheers, Paul

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've not seen that type of grill and stand before, looks like it works well ?

They do, they work very well. Both Silverbirch and myself have one. They are strong enough to hold a couple of 1L pots (assuming the ground is firm enough), as well as give enough area to cook a good half dozen burgers. You can raise it up, rotate it round to spin it off the fire. All that and it packs flat, and weighs under 900g.

They are made in Switzerland, I bought mine from a shop in Germany. I am in the process of trying to organise a group buy of these grills.

J

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Really good write up and looks like a nice trip.
I too was taken with your grill assembly. You mentioned a group buy so just wondered when you think it might happen. In the interim what is the brand of the grill so I can look it up?
All the best and thanks for the write up.
Russ

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Hi Russell, its a Braendi or Brändi grill. If you type 'adjustable height grill' into the search thingo at the top of the page you will find two threads on my grill. Sorry I can not do the linky thing.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Really good write up and looks like a nice trip.
I too was taken with your grill assembly. You mentioned a group buy so just wondered when you think it might happen. In the interim what is the brand of the grill so I can look it up?
All the best and thanks for the write up.
Russ

Silverbirch has already replied re brand.

The group buy is something I am in the process of organising. I contacted the manufacturer earlier this week. I've not had a reply yet. If I don't get one soon I'll try contacting them in German instead.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE