jam making

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
As locum says it wont affect the end result, may i suggest you give it all bath in salt water before freezing tho. The bugs will float to the surface but wont if frozen.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
if you freeze sloes then defrost them before you make sloe gin you don't have to faff around stabbing them full of holes either they go really soft and the juices leech out better

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
I found that is you are making jellies, rather than jam, freezing actually helps. Seems to break the fruit down a bit and gets the juice out easier.
Dead right, I freeze if there's no need due to time constraints. you get the fruit to give up their flavour much quicker as it defrosts. And alot of fruits are supposed to be sweeter and not picked until after the first frosts-kills two birds by freezing

bernie66

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2007
wirral uk
www.downsizer.net
When's the best time to pick sloes? I have several recipes for sloe gin but none of them tell you, also does the gin really improve with age?

These are always said , be best after the first frost, its a hard decision-before the birds get 'em or leave until frost sweetens them. Leave as long as you can so they will fill out but monitor closely is my advice.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Freezing soft fruit can reduce it's pectin content therefore making it less likely to set but throw in a couple of apples or a hand full of crab apples and that should solve that problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE