Jakob Nylund's Inferno review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
REDi-1.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

Blade:

Made of AEB-L stainless steel, this one is low maintenance. Normally I prefer a carbon steel, but Jakob assured me this steel was very good. The hammer finish is just what I like in Scandinavian and Finnish knives.
It’s got a bit of file work on the spine which is nicely finished so it doesn’t hurt your hand when you use your thumb for extra pressure. It’s got a swedge that makes for a fine tip.
The grind is high (3 mm blade) and zero ground to a razor sharp edge. Hairs popped al over the place when I touched my arm.
Edge retention has been great so far and it has not showed a nick or edge roll so far. I even cut walnut from a floorboard with it and it performed flawlessly.

Handle:

Well if I was ever charmed by a handle, than this would be the one! It’s absolutely stunnen. I’ve been using and looking at this knife for a couple of weeks now and I haven’t found a single flaw in it! The ivory bolster is finished perfectly and nicely rounded. The alder root is the best I’ve ever seen. It looks like this one was made for me. I’ve got rather small hands and this one is perfect. If you’ve got big hands, it will be a little on the small size. But for me, this one is great. As a matter of fact, I’ve never had a handle that felt so good! Not even on my Aurora or Jukka Hankala Lastu!

Sheath:

If there is something I dislike about most Scandinavian and Finnish knives, it would be their sheaths. They are always of the worst quality. The do the job (sometimes), but lack character.
This sheath will blow your mind! When the knife is sheathed it gives a reassuring click and locks the knife firmly into place. It couldn’t have been more perfect.

Conclusion:

This is the best Scandi I’ve ever held, used or even just looked at! I am completely in love with this little charm. It’s an heirloom, a user and a beauty queen, all in one.
If you have any doubts about ordering a knife from the Nylund brothers, you are missing out on the best buy you’ll probably ever make.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Utterly beautiful!

That handle really is an inferno, fantastic!

Purposeful, living, working art.

I love the sheath too!
happy0034.gif

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
When I first read the name of it on the title I thought that "Inferno" was a bit of a cheesy name but after seeing the handle its a very good description for what the wood looks like.

Is it some kind of Australian hardwood burr?
I seem to remember Coolibah looking pretty much like that or maybe one of the other Eucalyptus burrs.

Its got to rate as the nicest wood I have so far seen, stunning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE