Jack Pyke question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDCP

Nov 2, 2005
South Staffordshire
Would appreciate a little advice. Does anyone use Jack Pyke gear for bushcraft? I'm thinking of one of the English Oak hunters' jackets which appear to retail at about £60. I'm wondering about general durability, wear and tear etc etc.

Many thanks.

JDCP.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just been reviewing this jacket for Sporting shooter.
Not a bad jacket for the money but would perhaps not stand up to sparks too well and the fabric surface texture could hold sawdust etc.
The jacket is warm and cosy but the hood a little basic.
The rear drop down sit mat affair is a faff to zip up again but makes a good poachers pocket if you only unzip the side zip OR the top zip.
It is certainly waterproof and has well placed pockets.

JDCP

Nov 2, 2005
South Staffordshire
Thanks John,
It sounds OK...would it stand up wear and tear wise ? I've never heard of the material. I wear a gortex jacket if it's wet, but keep out of the dirty thorny stuff when I do. If I'm going to get grubby, I've got a cheap DPM army surplus jacket...but it's not weather proof. So I was hoping for a jacket that would fill the gap so to speak.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The fabric is a brushed polyester knit laminated to their own wind/water proof, breathable membrane - which works reasonably well though not as breathable as the market leaders - and lined partly in mesh, partly in taffeta.
It should prove pretty tough but I would not want to wrestle blackthorn while wearing it....
It sounds to me like a jacket that would fill the gap you describe. The outer fabric takes a little while to dry onced soaked but it is warm, and quiet as well.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I got one of these in Olive during an autumn trip to the UK. On the whole not a bad jacket, cosy and well set out. Its not at all breathable IMHO, and even after a short walk it is wet inside and takes a while to dry out.
Alos check the seams around the bottom hem and the pockets as mine had areas where the stitching had missed the liner and was starting to fray. The inner pocket also had a large hole in it. I did not spot these when I bought it and if I lived in the UK I would have returned it to the shop. So they obviously have quality control issues.
As I said not a bad outdoor coat, but don't expect hight end Gortex type performance.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE