ivy (hedera helix l.)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

merlin

Dec 27, 2006
south west wales
Ivy beeing so common in my area I was wondering what uses there are for it, I am aware of one (fire bow) are there any others?? Not including herbal remedies, bushcraft stuff if possible.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ivy makes very bendy withys. They do work differantly than other types of withy. Something best discribed by doing rather than me waffling. They can give some people hives, which willow inner bark seems to cure.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
I agree with xylaria, making Ivy withes does have an element of an artform about it.

The fine hairs on the bark can also be lit with a firesteel and perseverance.

merlin

Dec 27, 2006
south west wales
many thanks seems to confirm my first impresions.
There are some medicinal properties in the process of beeing studied at the moment, to do with treating lung disorders.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ivy is poisonous, but does have uses in bushcraft.....It grows up to 30m and has tiny roots along its stem, which help it to cling, and do not suck water as many people think. It will not suck all the moisture out of the mortar, in the brickwork, on the side of your house, as I have heard before. Also it does not strangle trees and kill them, it does make the tree top heavy and can cause the tree to come down in strong winds....
The wood (once dried) will make a good bowdrill drill and hearth, and the leaves make a good lubricant for the bearing block...
Eating the leaves can induce a narcotic effect and will cause you to vomit, have stomach pains, and diarrhoea....
The leaves have been used in the past to treat wounds, combat lice and fleas and the leaves narcotic effect has been used for soothing toothache (though I would not want to be around the patient at the time :eek: )
The fruit was used in a remedy in treating the plague...
Ivy is supposed to prevent drunkeness....
Ivy flowers when most other plants are dying off and can often be seen covered in bees.
I have noticed that pigeons enjoy eating the fruit....Is there nothing they dont eat...
most of this info is from a guide to wild plants by Michael Jordan...
Link to a photo of the flowers and fruit http://www.floralimages.co.uk/phederhelix.htm

merlin

Dec 27, 2006
south west wales
Jon Pickett said:
Ivy is poisonous, but does have uses in bushcraft.....It grows up to 30m and has tiny roots along its stem, which help it to cling, and do not suck water as many people think. It will not suck all the moisture out of the mortar, in the brickwork, on the side of your house, as I have heard before. Also it does not strangle trees and kill them, it does make the tree top heavy and can cause the tree to come down in strong winds....
The wood (once dried) will make a good bowdrill drill and hearth, and the leaves make a good lubricant for the bearing block...
Eating the leaves can induce a narcotic effect and will cause you to vomit, have stomach pains, and diarrhoea....
The leaves have been used in the past to treat wounds, combat lice and fleas and the leaves narcotic effect has been used for soothing toothache (though I would not want to be around the patient at the time :eek: )
The fruit was used in a remedy in treating the plague...
Ivy is supposed to prevent drunkeness....
Ivy flowers when most other plants are dying off and can often be seen covered in bees.
I have noticed that pigeons enjoy eating the fruit....Is there nothing they dont eat...
most of this info is from a guide to wild plants by Michael Jordan...
Link to a photo of the flowers and fruit http://www.floralimages.co.uk/phederhelix.htm
verry informative just the type of thing I was after.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE