I've worn a hole in my Guide Shirt! Repair ideas please.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
After many years of use and abuse I have managed to wear a hole in my precious Bison Guide shirt. :(

The wear is where my shoulder bag would rub against the material, usually against any knifes or pouches that I was wearing on my belt beneath. Here are a couple of pics, I'm thinking that I could possibly darn another piece of material to the underside of the shirt, possibly felt or similar? If anyone has any better ideas, please post them.

PB030004.JPG

PB030005.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What about a badge of some description or leather shoulder pads

No the hole is not on the shoulder but at the waist where the shoulder bag itself rubs against the shirt. Although I have thought about putting some sort of leather patch there as it'll inevitably wear through again.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Use the pocket to patch it. If you start sewing heavier or stronger material to it you risk making it worse.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're back here anytime soonish, I'll darn it for you with matching tartan weaving yarns and you'll never see the repair :D

Failing that; do as Ian suggests, or find some finely woven linen in a blending colour, boil wash it so that it's as shrunk as it's ever going to be, then using the finest stitches you can, back the tear with it....having realigned all those split fibres first.... and then carefully attach all the lose threads with stitches that lie within the twist. Done carefully, you won't notice the repair but it'll be an awful lot stronger.

If you know someone there who will darn it properly for you, I can send a selection of fine wool threads, or linen and linen threads that will do a sound patch repair.

cheers,
M

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Thanks all, some ideas to work with.

Thanks for the offer Mary, I have lots of linen and threads to choose from and reckon I may have a try myself. :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good for you :D
Might be a good idea to find an old Victorian, Edwardian or WW11 housewifely guide to darning. It's pretty straightforward, it just needs patience and attention to detail.
Decent long fine needles....darners or straw needles would be best; again, if you need some I can post :)

atb,
M

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Had the same happen with my swannie, where it rubbed on the metal frame of my Swedish army pack, my wife darned it.

Rob

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Good for you :D
Might be a good idea to find an old Victorian, Edwardian or WW11 housewifely guide to darning. It's pretty straightforward, it just needs patience and attention to detail..."

Thanks for that, child number two arrives shortly so I'll have a few long quiet winter nights to get it done. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE