Ive made a new Flatbow

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Finished making my flatbow from Ash wood. The wood is a 1/16th segment of a 12" wide log of wood. I had a few problems whilst making it because it looked like it might have started to produce a hinge in one of the limbs but i solved that problem. The bow is now a lovely shooter and im very pleased with it. The tiller is not perfection but its its not bad for one of my first bows...

More info about the some of the problems i faced on the paleoplanet forum: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/14008

flb1.jpg

flatbow7.jpg

flb4.jpg

Homemade arrows from Hazel shafts and Swan feather fletchings

flb2.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice. Particularly the arrows. I've yet to try my hand at self arrows, usually just use ready made shafts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice job, although to me it looks like the right hand limb is curving slightly more. Saying that, you say it shoots well and that is all that matters! I was out today with Ratbag, we gathered some really nice thick birch bark from some downed trees, but we saw a few trees that would make nice bows, namely the ash tree near where Ratbag found a tenner! A productive day indeed!

:D

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Nice job, although to me it looks like the right hand limb is curving slightly more. Saying that, you say it shoots well and that is all that matters! I was out today with Ratbag, we gathered some really nice thick birch bark from some downed trees, but we saw a few trees that would make nice bows, namely the ash tree near where Ratbag found a tenner! A productive day indeed!

:D

Did he split the tenner with you?.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Nice one there. What sort of draw weight is it?

I've been meaning to make a proper bow for years, but never got around to learning. So I put on a bow making course last April (taught by BentStick on here) and we made flatbows from ash staves too, although i used elm to be different. :) I thought that I would make some more later in the year but nothing happened until a few weeks ago when I decided to chop up a fallen oak tree that was in the way. The oak was about 14" diameter and I split out a pretty straight stave to make another flatbow from. The only troubles with that idea were that the sap wood was rotten, there turned out to be some axe marks (not sure who put them there though :mad: ) on the straightest piece and the wood was still green! :lol: So after removing the rotten and damaged wood and making sure it was down to a single ring I whacked out the shape with an axe and all was good. I've rough tillered it but I'm leaving it in the cold spare room at home to season a bit before I finish it off. It's amazing how less straight the rings run once you get 2" into the tree! I've got a linen string on it at the moment since that's the only material I had to hand. watch this space...

Hopefully mine will turn out ok, I don't want to have to relearn before the next bowmaking course this april :D

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That looks really nice Jon.

With an Ash flatbow like this is it necessary to shape it down to one growth ring?

Also, how seasoned does the wood need to be before rough shaping or finished?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Nice one Jon. Some lovely grain showing on the bow.

Just finished an Ash Flatbow myself.

After blanking it out I left mine for a month before fine scraping with a spoke shave and cabinet scraper and tillering.

The final bow can be seen here.

The pictures of the final tillering can be seen here. Please ignore the odd pictures of poo as these are for a tracking assignment.

I completed my bow as part of John Ryders Bushcraft Leadership course.

Hope you enjoyed making your bow as much as I did?

Cheers

George

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
just had another look at your fine bow there and I thought that I should mention that it is best to avoid creating islands and shaving the rings assymetrically as that creats weak spots and stress risers. not a good thing on a stick that is nine tenths broken at full draw :O

Hopefully you will still get a good shooting life from it adn with each bow we make we learn how to make it better next time :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE