Ivan's Bowdrill Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
The ultimate firecraft challenge is to go into the wilderness with no tools, gather native materials, and put these together to start a fire. Note I am also barefoot as footware may be considered a tool in holding down the hearthboard. In my home area of Southern California such a fire from scratch is possible, I did it! I found all the materials needed, which are common here, along this one creek. Below is a description of my pictured bowdrill set. All plant material was taken from already dried dead plant parts.

sacredfire.jpg

*Bow is 18 inches (linear length end to end) of naturally bowed of Holly Leaf Cherry (Prunus ilicifolia). Sawed and notched using shale flagstone edge.

*2ply cord of hand twisted Stinging Nettle fiber (Urtica dioica ssp. holosericea).

*Stone socket of Monterey Shale. Naturally shaped beach pebble with dimple drilled by finger-held chert shard.

*Spindle and hearth sticks of Arroyo Willow (Salix lasiolepis). Spindle sawed using shale flagstone edge and carved to point using chert blade. Hearthboard stick was snapped over knee and had split in half down the center length. Sawed to size using shale flagstone edge. Notched using chert blade.

*Carving blade is an unretouched black chert shard.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Yee ha!! That must have felt good.

What season did you do it? In particular tell us about the cord.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
How long did it take from start to finish?
Hi Fishy,
I gathered all the materials over a leasurely few days while on nature walks, my favorite pastime. I'm sure I could have got it all together and started the fire in an hour if needed. I'm picky about quality materials, and especially for this set which I will be reusing and treasuring. Drilling the fire itself and getting it going was done in a few minutes. I took my time feeding the ember and blowing it into flame as I did not want to loose this precious one. The first two drillings seen on the hearth stick failed.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
Yee ha!! That must have felt good.

What season did you do it? In particular tell us about the cord.
Hi Rich,
It glorious, thanks. One of those, "oh my god" moments. I did this last weekend. Nettle fiber is available year round here at sites where it is plentiful. But the best time is towards the end of the year when there is a fresh new crop to harvest and less rot. Right now the plants are beginning to flower. It is possible to cut live plants for use. But this harms the plants, which I don't like to do to natives, and you risk stinging of course. I've used Ramie, an exotic stingless nettle, straight away. Wish we had Urtica dioica ssp. galenopsis here. This is a rare UK form found at the Wicken Fen. Has anyone across the pond played with this?

May 13, 2008
leeds
nice one m8 i no how it feals to master the bow drill for the first time i maniged to do it my self about 4 munths bk i never felt so alive wen i did it wos trying for yers be for that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE