It's wet in Wales, says John

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I said that I remember a few dry days from my youth in Brecon, but this time I concede John was right:

CIMG0943.jpg

I had to talk to him about this state of affairs, but he assured me it was quite normal:

CIMG0915.jpg

Roly (dr.jones) was just smiling

CIMG0901-1.jpg

Rups on the other hand just loved it cold and wet:

SAM_0587.jpg

My dogs are gibbering sissies in the wet, the red one went to bed at 6 and the little one had to have a box in front of the fire (they are both young)

CIMG0950.jpg

John brought a life saving parachute

CIMG0946.jpg

Under which we ate like kings

CIMG0929.jpg

I got past it all after a few beers and smiled at one point:

CIMG0935.jpg

It was a shame Jedediah had to pull out but thanks to John and Roly for being available and making me and Rups at home.

Rain or no rain it was a laugh as ever.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have to add that for a first meet it was irritating for Rups to not only get his flint and steel working, but didn't cock up his first spoon. I thought it was obligatory to fail at first - at least on one or two things.

Rups

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
London
It was a great weekend, thanks to John and dr.jones for making me feel welcome, and to Dougster for taking me. Loved getting out of London and getting muddy. (And very wet!) my house still stinks of woodsmoke. Great stuff.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Is that Johns old Unit beret?
looks like a good'un

must say tho "Its wet in wales" is akin to saying "Its windy in the shetlands"

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Rich, you should have vetted the photos first , the first one makes us look like a collection of tramps with all those bottles lying around! Shameful!!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fair enough mate, they were mainly mine. My head paid the price though.

Aye - I only had 2 bottles per evening, plus the Sloe Gin, whiskey etc
The headwear in question is a "bunnet" I made from the remains of a Dutch blanket and a bit of dead tipi while the badge is/was a South Wales Bushcrafters logo pendant made by Cap'n Badger from horn :) so yup - my "unit Beret" - my other headwear is a Meriono Buff and a Rogue Tincloth hat

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice bit of Welsh rain, pitch the chute right down to the ground next time though. You can, with the help of a few 'clingon' grips pitch a chute almost Yurt like, I'll sort out some pictures next month.

Dougster, I hope that meat was organic, including the burgers:p

Looks like fun was had by all, nice one.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Nice bit of Welsh rain, pitch the chute right down to the ground next time though. You can, with the help of a few 'clingon' grips pitch a chute almost Yurt like, I'll sort out some pictures next month.

I reckon morrisons.... doubt they were organic :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Camping in wales wouldn't be right without a bit of rain.

looks like a good weekend , like the fire setup.

Craig..................

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea

i think john knows how he wanted hes chute put up,
i like your idear of haveing it right down to the ground if they was all sleeping under it though

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Aye - I only had 2 bottles per evening, plus the Sloe Gin, whiskey etc
The headwear in question is a "bunnet" I made from the remains of a Dutch blanket and a bit of dead tipi while the badge is/was a South Wales Bushcrafters logo pendant made by Cap'n Badger from horn :) so yup - my "unit Beret" - my other headwear is a Meriono Buff and a Rogue Tincloth hat

Been considering a Beret myself, lovely headwear tbh, looks like the old style that one? you weren't in the Viet Taff were you john? hehe
like the setup mind, even in the rain it looks cosy under that parachute.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE