It's only another KUKSA I'm afraid!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Found a nice bit burr which I think is apple (don't know why but I do:)) and set about it today.

I boiled it in coffee and chagga to try and give a darker finish but not much happened.

I've also given it a boil in milk to try that and see.
007 (700x643).jpg

004 (700x389).jpg

005 (700x527).jpg

It's had a coat of walnut oil and is drying outside. Hopefully the milk boil and oil coat will slow the drying.

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'd love to say I only used 3 tools (purists don't read any further) but I do cheat a bit!:eek:

I rough out the outside with a chainsaw disc on the hand grinder then a flap sanding disc. This saves a lot of time and my sore elbow!

After that its a straight knife and a hook knife, that's all. Oh, and a bit sand paper. It did take 6 hours though so I know what you mean about time.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Yep, that looks like top stuff mate! Those tools saves you time, but it's the feel of the object that is beyond the tool, you got it spot on and this kuksa looks GREAT!

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Oooh thats a stunning bit of work, lovely grain to it..would love to get hold of a decent burl for this one day to have a go... Great work :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What's all this "only another kuksa?"......It's a cracker! I really do like that one; if I'd made that I'd be over the moon......Good stuff.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks very much folks for all the positive comments.

Think this one might be a Christening present. Need to try something a little different next time.

Cheers

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You're really pretty darn good at this carving lark aren't you! That's a very pretty kuska Monikieman, what sort of size is it? Get some idea by the surroundings but no definite reference. Lovely stuff, always a joy to peruse your work.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
:eek: Thanks Goatboy.

001 (700x436).jpg

Eh've no' got sma hands but their no muckle either. My thumb is about 1" across!

The inside of the rim need taken down a bit and a wee bit more out of the base.

200ml to be exact.

Many thanks for the kind works.

All the best to everyone.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE