its not only me that makes shavings in the front room

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just to prove it here's Nicola AKA doctor spoon messing up the front room and it was me that hoovered it all up. Having said that it only takes a couple of minutes to clear up after a several hours carving and the carpet never gets hoovered as often otherwise. What better way to pass a winter evening?

shavings.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is the living space I would love...axe and block in front of the fire, dog at mt feet, hand crafted furniture...great!
Do you actually own/watch a TV - or do you have better things to do?

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
With you, totally, on this one.

I much prefer lots of noise and making a mess, preferably dusty so as to cover the dog too.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why I,ve always gotten heavy flak for it!
Total involvement with the immediate, is what I have always been susceptible to and, unfortunately, I always end up doing the messiest stuff in my best gear.....

WTH , I never try to duck out with the cleaning up....hell, I can hardly ever get in my own garage for stuff that's not mine.

Never mind,from time to time, both dog and self get swilled down with the hose, before we're allowed in public.

Ceeg.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"Do you actually own/watch a TV - or do you have better things to do?"

My favourite response to that was John Gielgud who said "television is for appearing on not for watching"

No telly here, probably spend far too much time on computer and we have a projector and dvd player for films. We expected to get major hassle as the kids grew up but they are 10 and 13 now and still don't give us earache about lack of telly, in fact they are as likely to be carving with us.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I thought as much!
I am seriously thinking of binning the box.... but will my wife (a non bushcrafter) permit this?
Still there are some (only some) good progs...

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
And I've got a small workbench, anvil, and vise in my "living room".

So I also often have a mess to clean up - although mine is far more metal related than wood. And even the occasional horn/antler dust/scrapings. Plus add in all the clothe and leather from sewing projects. The "mess" does tend to add up.

I've always enjoyed having a place to ... tinker ... right in the middle of the living room. Kind of harks back to that central gathering space in front of the hearth, and the old "cottage industry" stuff of old.

I'd much rather have a messy place to "play" than a clean place to just sit.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE