It Adze to Happen

I have been making spoon knifes for a while now

I became interested in Crooked knifes from Native americans and made some of those to after some research and help by Robin Wood

I also came across Elbow Adze's tho I had been aware of them before i hadnt taken much notice as they are a bit to Woodwork tool etc :eek: :D
but having seen their use on various vidios for spoons and small bowls I had to have a go
i cur some blanks out of 4mm O1 steel a while ago but havent had the equipt to forge the curves Luckly Dave Budd took pity on me at a Bushcraft meet over easter and quickly beat it into shape (im still working on a et up to do it :( but Dave has given me a few differnt ideas how to )
so no suitable wood to make a handle I fabricated one out of a couple blocks of Ash (as you can see from the seamless invisible joint my woodwork skills are top notch :yuck::D)
hopfuly the joint and a 3" screw will be strong enough
Ive set the head angle at 75deg with the curve on the blade it should be in the 50-60 deg range for the edge
Due to a split forming ive pinned thro the head and as its me ive used a brass and carbon fibre Mosic pin :roll: and a brass / stainless/ Aluminium / carbon fibre mosic cover plug for the screw head :mrgreen: of course if left the top screw heads as is :rolleyes:
ive sized it as a small forged adze but this maybe to small for a light weight head and a longer whippy handle may be better (ive no idea not being a wood worker) but it is a lot quicker than a spoon knife in hollowing on the one bit of semi seasoned wood ive tryed on the bouncy work mate :?
head is 150mm long and a 6cm cutting edge curved to a 6cm diameter ish ecxternal convex bevel
Adze1.jpg

Adze2.jpg

Adze3.jpg

Adze4.jpg

Adze5.jpg

Adze6.jpg

BTW i may make some more Blades only BUT not to order so please dont ask if i do they will appear in the makers area ..............eventually

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Very nice!

But 've just had an idea, what if the blade had a dog-leg or crank in it so it could be srewed directly onto a straight rather than elbow handle?

Just a thought.

Dave

Very nice!

But 've just had an idea, what if the blade had a dog-leg or crank in it so it could be srewed directly onto a straight rather than elbow handle?

Just a thought.

Dave

I have been thinking of that but assume as its not been done it might not be a good idea i guess the forces would be acting in directions not good for the fixings and may also be bouncy/springy

But i still might try it :D

ATB

Duncan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks good Duncan - as I knew it would!

the form to make the bend worked a treat then :)

udamiano

On a new journey
very nice, I like that, I like that a lot.goodjob
whats the weight like ? would adding a bit of mass in the shape of lead shot in the head give it a bit more umph!
I agree about the length of the shaft though for more leverage on bigger stuff, but for close work it looks pretty close to being the right length.

A bit of railway track and a good hammer, after a heat up looks like it would give you the right profile for the cutting face. then a heat treat on the edge, but leave he rest with a bit more give.

Very nice work, really impressed

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE