Istor Knife Sharpener

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I think it will just align the edge rather than sharpen. It isn't designed to remove material from the blade. There are much better tools depending on what you want.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't waste your money! "Its as hard a s a diamond" - so's a diamond!

The thing with all these gizmos is they want to dictate the sharpening angle. Thats okay for whacking a secondary bevel on a flat ground knife - its a bad thing with a scandinavian grind and ruinous to a convex. Also all high end sharpeners use a varity of grits - low grit to sharpen out chips, high grit to polish the bevel. Anything with one grit will always be a compromise.

I'g get a duo fold from eze-lap for field use and a lot of wet and dry for home use!

Red

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I think it will just align the edge rather than sharpen. It isn't designed to remove material from the blade. There are much better tools depending on what you want.
Oh yes it is - that's a carbide bit on the end - and it takes metal off in slivers! - after a couple of goes your scandi will have an edge like a microscopic breadknife!

I wouldn't use it on any of my knives (and yes i've got one :eek: )

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
Just goes to show what I know!! I had one too, must have used it wrong..... That being said if you want a small sharpening tool the Fallkniven DC4 is excellent. It gets more use than my water stones.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I know this is a really, really old thread but I felt I had to comment. I came across the thread while looking to get another of these.

It's a fantastic bit of kit if you use it in the way it's meant to be used (or maybe I mean how I reckon it's meant to be used).

It rips metal off things, and it's very good at that - and it leaves a very rough edge. You could sharpen an axe with it (and I have done). You can use it to change the angle on the edge of a knife. You can use it to sharpen a knife that hasn't been sharpened in years that you've been asked to sharpen.

Then you need to put a proper edge on the blade. I actually have one of these things on my keyring as well as a DC3 (yep, it's a very bulky keyring but I don't lose it very often) and I reckon I can sharpen pretty much anything with those two bits of kit - to a state where you can push-cut A4 if that's what you want to do.

It's not for getting a polished edge on a well-loved expensive knife, it's for getting an angle on something that's been neglected. And for that, it's perfect.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE