Issue PCS Lightweight Thermal Smock

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
any service personnal on this forum what are you told to wear under the
issue PCS Lightweight Thermal Smock

is it only the "thermal base layer vest top" or is it the " light thermal undershirt, that replaced the classic Norwegian army shirt.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I got it issued as a fleece and as a replacement for the carp combat cardigan. A wicking base layer seems most appropriate but it might be different for each service / different units. I've carried on using my HH pile jacket which is far superior to both items.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
generally whatever you want, depending on what you are up to! usually field wear anyhow, so - HH baselayer, or some other form of wicking t shirt., with the MTP smock over the top of the lot.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I'm wondering if that matters unless you're in the military. You can choose your own clothing system and see what works for you. There isn't a uniform (the clothing pieces) rule in most countries, and even if there was, a uniform (which counts for everyone) rule doesn't work for everyone since some experience cold a lot faster than someone else. Let my mother go out with what i wear, and she'd be shivering constantly, other way around, i'm good to 0C with the stuff she wears for 15C ;).

Even in the military, they get their gear asfar as i know, and decide what personal items to take on a mission, on top of the mission gear. Want to take a midweight fleece provided by the military: sure, go ahead, but you'll carry it.

Modchop

Oct 17, 2013
Shropshire
I usually just wear a T-shirt under mine, a wicking one if doing anything strenuous, otherwise a normal cotton T. The sizing is a little odd I find on these.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I'm wondering if that matters unless you're in the military. You can choose your own clothing system and see what works for you. There isn't a uniform (the clothing pieces) rule in most countries, and even if there was, a uniform (which counts for everyone) rule doesn't work for everyone since some experience cold a lot faster than someone else. Let my mother go out with what i wear, and she'd be shivering constantly, other way around, i'm good to 0C with the stuff she wears for 15C ;).

Even in the military, they get their gear asfar as i know, and decide what personal items to take on a mission, on top of the mission gear. Want to take a midweight fleece provided by the military: sure, go ahead, but you'll carry it.

agreed but I was just wondered purely because of the weird sizing. When I served in the 80/90's we were told the order and way to wear the uniform and can imagine they still have this system.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
You'll struggle to get it on over a fleece like the lightweight thermal shirt - the fleece lining on the thermal smock sticks to it like glue :) I've bought an XXL size (I'm a 42 inch chest!!!) and it has enough room to put it on over my regular base layers, so buy at least one size larger than you need as they are very tight!

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
You'll struggle to get it on over a fleece like the lightweight thermal shirt - the fleece lining on the thermal smock sticks to it like glue :) I've bought an XXL size (I'm a 42 inch chest!!!) and it has enough room to put it on over my regular base layers, so buy at least one size larger than you need as they are very tight!

I find this to be the best way to go about any layering system ;). Base layers/tshirt: very close fit . Fleece (light or heavier, depending on what's needed): good fit (usually in my case a size bigger). Jacket: another size bigger, since it needs to go over the heavier fleece if needed. It's a bit baggy in summer, but when you put your layers on, it fits just right in my case.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
As long as you have an MTP layer on top, it doesn't really matter. Normally it's a T-Shirt or civvy HH long sleeve, it's really up to you - oh yes and what an anally retentive Chain of Command say also.

Outer layers used to be as long as you had a rank slide on the outer layer it was ok, but apparenty CGS or Army SM doesn't like that idea (best put my issue softie back away).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE