Islay Malt - bargain alert

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those of you who enjoy a glass of Scotland's premier export...and specifically the seaweed / iodine flavour punch of a pure Islay, I have an "insider" tip. BB bought me some unusual malts this season, and one in particular is an absolute bargain. If you like an Islay malt like Caol Ila, or Laphroaig you must try "Islay Storm". Its a mystery malt (although can only be from one of the six or so Islay distilleries), but is a fantastic flavour - I have paid £50 and more for someting not as good. If Islay malts float your boat, buy a bottle - you will not regret it - under £25 and worth twice that at least

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/islay-storm/

Sep12-IslayStorm-1.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
For those of you who enjoy a glass of Scotland's premier export...and specifically the seaweed / iodine flavour punch of a pure Islay, I have an "insider" tip. BB bought me some unusual malts this season, and one in particular is an absolute bargain. If you like an Islay malt like Caol Ila, or Laphroaig you must try "Islay Storm". Its a mystery malt (although can only be from one of the six or so Islay distilleries), but is a fantastic flavour - I have paid £50 and more for someting not as good. If Islay malts float your boat, buy a bottle - you will not regret it - under £25 and worth twice that at least

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/islay-storm/

Sep12-IslayStorm-1.jpg

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye open for some.
Currently got a bottle of Laphroaig that's keeping me a happy man this month.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I hope you like it Richard!

Although I will likely never find out, I'm betting on Ardbeg or Caol Ila distilleries - really a very good flavour

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just abaht to finish my Laphroaig Quarter cask, after this bottle of Monkmans slaughter :D the quarter cask has A paler nose and taste than regular Laphroaig. Very nice though. So I'll look out for the Storm :cool: cheers

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Wouldn't it be cheaper and tastier to drink battery acid? I'm constantly offered some of the 'best' malts from all over Scotland and I just don't enjoy them, water or no, coke or no. I just don't get it, the Irish stuff is better but not by much.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm collecting wood and pitchforks at this moment :)

Still there is no accounting for taste....or the lack of it!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Probably "teaspooned" malt, sold by a distillery to the trade for blending, with a teaspoon of some other whisky in it to stop it being sold subsequently as the original single malt, but then resold by the purchaser under a generic name. No age statement, so probably quite young, but that is no barrier to excellent taste. Probably very nice. That's my guess anyway

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE