Is this what the UK is like?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
You've just got to love this approach..... :lmao: a country gone to the dogs & gone mad. (no disrespect to our beloved for legged friends)
You know I don’t see it as a nation gone mad, I see it merely as a response to few people that are totally unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions, and a nation of businessmen doing their damnedest to protect themselves from irresponsible and parasitical “lawyer” making money from the misfortunes of other weak willed folk.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
On the other hand, by "sacrificing" Snowdon to the tour-groups (steps, handrails, cafe at the top, railway line) it does mean that the surrounding (and IMO more interesting peaks) remain free of such additions.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I suppose they have to make allowances for the British Public; like the guy who injured himself diving off a quay at lowish tide, who said, when asked why he did it, "there wasn't a notice saying it was dangerous.":rolleyes:

leon-1

Hi mate, If you want to know what Dartmoor is like just run "Save Clam Bridge" through google and see what comes up.

For anyone that doesn't know what Clam Bridge looked like, have a look at the front page of my website, the picture top left is of me walking across the old bridge. Now it has been barred so that people cannot use it and the new bridge is very much out of keeping with the beautiful surroundings around it.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The bottom feeders in the Gene-pool should be allowed to do a Darwin!

I read an article a bit back about the Yosemite rescue team, and how they were getting sick of doing ACHE rescues. When asked what this was, they explained it was when they had to rescue the likes of folks who wandered into the mountains in t shirts and flip flops, or into bear country with a bag full of meat.
Saving idiots like that was Against the Course of Human Evolution.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
I read an article a bit back about the Yosemite rescue team, and how they were getting sick of doing ACHE rescues. When asked what this was, they explained it was when they had to rescue the likes of folks who wandered into the mountains in t shirts and flip flops, or into bear country with a bag full of meat.
Saving idiots like that was Against the Course of Human Evolution.

Haha :D Another useful acronym added to my repository :lol:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
On the other hand, by "sacrificing" Snowdon to the tour-groups (steps, handrails, cafe at the top, railway line) it does mean that the surrounding (and IMO more interesting peaks) remain free of such additions.

Agreed but unfortunately you can still see the ants crawling up the poor mountain from Glyder Fawr ;)

I once met a group of school kids and their teacher coming up the Devil's Kitchen in T shirts and trainers when we were coming off the top in white out frozen conditions and roped up! We've made the countryside sound so accessible that people just ignore the dangers.

I hate the signposted countryside but if it keeps people away from some of the wilder areas I'll accept it. I feel the same about our beautiful country lanes - chevrons on every corner, signposts warning us that there is a sign post coming up ...

Rant over :)

Broch

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Agreed but unfortunately you can still see the ants crawling up the poor mountain from Glyder Fawr ;)

I once met a group of school kids and their teacher coming up the Devil's Kitchen in T shirts and trainers when we were coming off the top in white out frozen conditions and roped up! We've made the countryside sound so accessible that people just ignore the dangers.

I hate the signposted countryside but if it keeps people away from some of the wilder areas I'll accept it. I feel the same about our beautiful country lanes - chevrons on every corner, signposts warning us that there is a sign post coming up ...

Rant over :)

Broch

Counter-productive imo, signs mean that people are expected to go there.

Don't matter what the signs say, if there are signs it must be ok to wander about in your tshirt and flipflops.:p

EDIT: I just saw that you meant the signs keep the numpties to the popular areas. Doh!
But some of the wilder areas are most dangerous and will require signing too.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Here in the Colonies the US Forest Service has had to put muzzles on all bears in the backcountry. I suppose snakes are next...:confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

We just get signs saying beware deer, sheep, cattle, badgers or red squirrels on the roads :rolleyes:
It slows the tourists down to a crawl at times:sigh:.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE