is this gransfors bruks wildlife hatchet worth £30?

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
My neighbour said i could have this for 30 quid.. I am thinking of taking it but unsure on a few things...

Howcome it says prima hickory on the handle? When i see other wildlife hatchets online they dont say that

Are the cracks where the wedge has been put in anything to worry about?

And i know it needs cleaning and sharpening but what do u think of the condition for price? How is best to get rid of the rust?

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9294/20130503174634h.jpg

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6015/20130503174715.jpg

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/443/20130503174729.jpg

All repliesare much appreciated!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you don't buy that for £30.00, tell your neighbour to PM me..............................atb mac

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
Thanks guys, im going to take it off his hands and clean it up and sharpen it.. Do you think those cracks in the top will need any sealant or anything or will it be fine? Also do u reckon vinegar will be ok for the rust? And oil afterwards to prevent it from rusting again?

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
That is a bargain! Personally I would just clean the head with oil & wire wool, give it a good sharpening, and enjoy using it. Don't worry about the cracks they probably appeared when the wedge was put in. It looks overall in pretty good condition.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
That is a bargain! Personally I would just clean the head with oil & wire wool, give it a good sharpening, and enjoy using it. Don't worry about the cracks they probably appeared when the wedge was put in. It looks overall in pretty good condition.

What he said! I don't think you need to use vinegar.

I also agree with what people are saying about the price. £30 is a real bargain.

Cheers!

Huon

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's a cracking axe mate, no wories there at all about those cracks it will serve you forever. It has hardly been used by the looks of it, if ever sharpened after factory... For half of the price ;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Its a good question, my Husqvarna hatchet cost about twenty quid (can't remember exactly) and I'm not convinced the Gransfors is significantly (if at all) better.
If loads of people say its worth that then it suggests they would pay that or more for one so I suppose its worth thirty quid.

Maybe the Husqvarnas are just underpriced.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That's a cracking axe mate, no wories there at all about those cracks it will serve you forever. It has hardly been used by the looks of it, if ever sharpened after factory... For half of the price ;)
Thats not strictly true it looks abused
Lets not get too excited its a used GB axe in need of attention £30 seems fair enough
I would definitely buy though if I needed one

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Um, swimming agin the flow a little bit here.
Just about. It is at the end of the day second hand and clearly needs work on the edge.
So, no it's not a bargain but probably not an unfair price.

I second that.....would be interested to see the state of the poll as the bit looks like it's been used a hammer :p

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I second that.....would be interested to see the state of the poll as the bit looks like it's been used a hammer :p

I can't see any real sign of mushrooming so I'd guess the poll is OK. The edge is a mess but none of the dings seem deep. I wouldn't have thought this would take much effort to get it into reasonable condition. The Wildlife Hatchet retails for somewhere in excess of £60 so the price seems OK to me. It is not an axe I've ever owned or really wanted so I can't say whether it is better than a Husqvarna but other GB axes I own are very good and, in my opinion, worth the price.

Cheers!

Huon

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[ URL=http://imageshack.us/photos/my-images/521/20130504111550.jpg/]
20130504111550.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.us

To be honest i know it looks a bit rough but with a good clean and sharpen again i reckon its definitely got a lot more years left in it... And hey.. Its an axe, i guess its not going to look perfect forever :p

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
I can't see any real sign of mushrooming so I'd guess the poll is OK. The edge is a mess but none of the dings seem deep. I wouldn't have thought this would take much effort to get it into reasonable condition. The Wildlife Hatchet retails for somewhere in excess of £60 so the price seems OK to me. It is not an axe I've ever owned or really wanted so I can't say whether it is better than a Husqvarna but other GB axes I own are very good and, in my opinion, worth the price.

Cheers!

Huon

Yea i know what u mean.. If any of the gb id prefer the small forest axe or large as i prefer a bit more power... I was looking at the hiltafors agdor but then this came along.. I reckon ill take this to be honest.. Yea its a bit shabbier than a new axe but i do like the quality feel of the handle.. So Plus it is a bit cheaper which is always nice to save a few pennies..

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Yea i know what u mean.. If any of the gb id prefer the small forest axe or large as i prefer a bit more power... I was looking at the hiltafors agdor but then this came along.. I reckon ill take this to be honest.. Yea its a bit shabbier than a new axe but i do like the quality feel of the handle.. So Plus it is a bit cheaper which is always nice to save a few pennies..

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the Wildlife as an axe but I have a couple of Ceggas that occupy about the same niche. From the new shots I'd say that the poll does look as though it has some damage but it is hard to be sure and if there is damage it is not major. You're the one in the best position to assess the axe as you get to handle it so you should probably go by your own instincts.

The SFA is fine but if you want something easily packable it is probably a bit large.

Cheers!

Huon

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Looks like a proper working axe to me, who wants a shiny decoration anyway! Good price and as the others have said, quick clean up with wire wool, a sharpen and a bit of oil on the haft, jobs a good un.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE