Is this a Mora ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
Years ago I purchased two knives off the bay. When the knives arrived I had noticed that they had no makers mark but resembled a Mora knife (in particular the 106 version but longer )

One knife was given away (which I regret) and the other had stayed part of my collection. Every time I grab it though I ask myself again is it a Mora.

Here you can see it after I've worked on it a bit.
4upuquje.jpg

The steel holds a great edge, fairly similar qualities when sharpening to other Mora's but no mark on it.

vy3upuva.jpg

ajabe2ut.jpg

If any one could shed light that would be great. Its slightly longer then the 106 same handle construction, but steel is not laminated.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It surely looks like a Mora to me; as I understand it, Mora is a place where there are many knife makers, and as is the way of these things they have a pretty fluid interaction with one another, e.g. firms combining into larger entities, one person working for more than one firm, and thus designs all looking much the same with only minor details being different. I guess it depends on how old it is as to whether it could be I.D.'d definitively...............

As usual on this forum I bet there'll be somebody along just now who knows a lot more about this than I do! Good luck with it :)

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I've been looking for these knives all afternoon. Rapala seems to be marketing fishing knives and hunting only. Haven't seen any sloyd style knives

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've been looking for these knives all afternoon. Rapala seems to be marketing fishing knives and hunting only. Haven't seen any sloyd style knives

Yes. The knife in the OP looks very much like a short Rapala fillet knife.

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
It is not though my friend, the short fillet knife has a thinner blade that is more flexible, a curved spine and flat grind as opposed to the knife in the original post.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
One of my suppliers sell Mora knives here in Canada , I've bought a couple of them and they have them listed in their catalogue as ,

1261-WS.jpg

1261-ws KNIFE WOOD CARVING W. STH CARBON STEEL BLADE 3 1/2

"
Carbon steel blade with through handle tang.Birchwood handle with chromed handle collar.Molded plastic sheath with belt loop included.Hardened to HRC 60."

It is non laminated and I believe they were made in Mora possibly made by KJ Eriksson or Frosts before the merge but that is only a guess .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE