Is this a good knife?

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have recently obtained a Mora Clipper 840MG (suggested by many here) and it is great!, for my birthday I will be getting a DC3/4 stone, but anyway should I get a Mora Bushcraft Survival on my birthday? This would be my main knife then.

Personally I wouldn't, I'd ask for books for starters, as you can handle only one knife at the same time (and forget those serations, IIRC they're classed as being double edged - thus illegal; there are some threads around covering this topic with better info).

Gain some basic knowledge, which you can put to practice when your out and about with your dad. 'The Survival Handbook' by John Wiseman is a favourite by many people on here. I got mine aged 13: read it every day. Two years later I knew it by heart (my sis pop quized me by reading random pages). Ray Mears has several good books, including some suitable to bring with you in the field. Mors Kochanski is another one.

If you search the forum for try-stick you might find some examples of sticks that are cut with a wide vary of different cutting techniques. Learn how to use your knife and learn how to sharpen it with the stone you'll be getting. You can do this in your backyard. This way you can practice your bushcraft skills without any travelling (as I read in another thread you'll only have your knife when your dad's around).

The same way you can practice your fire lighting skills by making a bow drill (ask permission first though ;) :p - and make sure there's a first aid kit and plenty of water at hand and an adult close by, as you never know).

Aug 13, 2011
Mmmm... Double edged knives are not illegal... However you would need a pretty good reason to have one in yer possession...

Excellent fer some things tho...... (Insert preference here)......

However they are fairly usles fer Bushcraft as you can't reasonably baton them and can't reasonably put yer fingers or thumb on the back...

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Personally I wouldn't, I'd ask for books for starters, as you can handle only one knife at the same time (and forget those serations, IIRC they're classed as being double edged - thus illegal; there are some threads around covering this topic with better info).

Gain some basic knowledge, which you can put to practice when your out and about with your dad. 'The Survival Handbook' by John Wiseman is a favourite by many people on here. I got mine aged 13: read it every day. Two years later I knew it by heart (my sis pop quized me by reading random pages). Ray Mears has several good books, including some suitable to bring with you in the field. Mors Kochanski is another one.

If you search the forum for try-stick you might find some examples of sticks that are cut with a wide vary of different cutting techniques. Learn how to use your knife and learn how to sharpen it with the stone you'll be getting. You can do this in your backyard. This way you can practice your bushcraft skills without any travelling (as I read in another thread you'll only have your knife when your dad's around).

The same way you can practice your fire lighting skills by making a bow drill (ask permission first though ;) :p - and make sure there's a first aid kit and plenty of water at hand and an adult close by, as you never know).

Books yes, spot on but the serations comment is way off the mark. In the UK atleast which is where I assume the OP is from

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
you make it sound so simple...
it is bud, it took me ages to take the plunge and have a go, i did not have the confidence for ages, and i thought bugger it ill just have a go, if you go down the file rout, instead of the machine rout and just take your time little by little and keep test fitting you cant realy go wrong, it when you get into machines thats when you go wrong, if that makes sense, its such a slow process with the rasp and file bit by bit, you get there in the end.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Mmmm... Double edged knives are not illegal... However you would need a pretty good reason to have one in yer possession...

Excellent fer some things tho...... (Insert preference here)......

However they are fairly usles fer Bushcraft as you can't reasonably baton them and can't reasonably put yer fingers or thumb on the back...

eh?

What did that have to do with anything?

Walshy - clipper will do you fine mate.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE