Is there such a thing as a flexible axe handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone...
I thought this would be the best place to ask.

I recently had the privilege of witnessing an axe with a wooden handle that is flexible. It is not rattan. But it is really 'springy'.

Is this something common among some designs of axe handles?

pardon my ignorance but I am really clueless about axes.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
To some extent all good handles should be flexible. Hardly you could see that by eye, but surely you could feel when working wood, where the hard wood like oak would leave a sorrow mark in you hand :) Not sure of what you've seen though..

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
As Andy says any tool like an axe or hammer will need a little spring to prevent excessive shock reaching your hand. It can be taken too far, and a couple of my parangs have quite a bit too much spring which means that if you happen to catch the work not quite right with a good swing the handle can move quickly in an unexpected direction (not nice with a big sharp blade) and/or give your hand quite a painful slap.

I have a couple of hammers which have handles of some man-made material, I don't think it's glass fibre reinforced resin but it's a bit like that. They're a bit more springy than hickory but they also seem to dissipate the sprung energy more quickly which makes things more comfortable. I like those handles a lot. They were quite cheap.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the info.
That makes sense. The 'flexibility' and 'springy' action is exactly for the same reason the guy told me.

What amazes me is that the diameter of the wood is no bigger than 3cm yet it really flexes!
He told me that if that particular wood is soaked in water overnight, it will be even more flexible and that helps when they do heavier jobs.

Ged...I see what you mean with 'too' much spring.

The owner made the axe handle himself and its been with him more than 7 years.

Will try to upload the pic.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Sorry for reviving an old thread.
I manage to finalize the video and made it live on Youtube.
This is the handle I was talking about.

[video=youtube;ROADkz8vi_4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROADkz8vi_4[/video]

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've seen a stone axe(mounted like an adze) with a similar springy helve, trying to think where. Human planet!! Also ha e. Look back though Trekkingnut's posts he has a collection of them..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE