Is there a tracking bible?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Yes that is a really good book, although fairly simple, it's more useful and readable then many others.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
maximus otter said:
"Nature Detective" by Hugh Falkus is an interesting book. Though not a tracking guide per se, it has a lot of info on spoor, habitat etc.

It's also cheap!

maximus otter

I agree. Nature Detective might not be the definitive technical manual on tracking, but it is an excellent book and sets the right tone for anyone interested in the subject.

The late Hugh Falkus achieved legendary status in sea trout and salmon fishing circles. His film, Salmo, the Leaper, remains one of the finest on the life history of the Atlantic salmon. Falkus provided the commentary for the English language editions of Jacques Cousteau's underwater TV series.

Burnt Ash

Y

yowee

Animal Tracks and Signs by Preben Bang & Preben Dahlstrøm is an exellent aid the tracking course run by woodsmoke is simply sensational every pun intended, it really gives a great grounding to open your eyes, ears, nose and touch I couldn't recommend it more.
Hope that helps :wave:

A

Aelfred

Abbe

As with most things there are a lot of tracking books out there with different angles and approaches and styles. Of the tracking books I've come across my favourites are:

Preben Bang & Preben Dahlstrøm - Animal Tracks and Signs
- excellent on all aspects of animal sign for NW europe but also plenty of transferable knowledge, I have a copy of the latest edition but the older ones are also good and have slightly different material and pictures

Tom Brown - Tom Brown's Field Guide to Nature Awareness and Tracking
- good intro to tom brown style tracking, will open your eyes to a huge amount of what you normally miss. I think this book is the best place to start on learning tracking

Tom Brown - The Science and Art of Tracking
- taking those pressure release studies further (will do strange and wonderful things to your everyday sense of perception)

Bob Carss - The SAS Guide to Tracking
- a very different approach to Tom Brown but an excellent compliment to his skills, although this is more orientated towards human tracking and does not go to half as much of the level of detail that tom brown ultimately works on

I hope this helps.

Ollie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE