Is there a place to say hello?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
well that's fine and dandy and I can see the point training honest I can, but surely a basic course is just that. I've been on courses where your told not to bring anything it's done as a levelling excercise your all in the same boat from the start. Don't any of the centres/ instructors just ask you questions like did you dress yourself this morning? can you tie your own shoelaces?

do you own a penknife when's the last time you cut yourself?

what's the most dangerous thing you've done and did you survive?

surely that would save alot of time give a better understanding of how to pitch the level of the course rather than impose what seemed at the time as draconian measures which limited the time I could get to admire the trees and plants.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
well that's fine and dandy and I can see the point training honest I can, but surely a basic course is just that. I've been on courses where your told not to bring anything it's done as a levelling excercise your all in the same boat from the start. Don't any of the centres/ instructors just ask you questions like did you dress yourself this morning? can you tie your own shoelaces?

do you own a penknife when's the last time you cut yourself?

what's the most dangerous thing you've done and did you survive?

surely that would save alot of time give a better understanding of how to pitch the level of the course rather than impose what seemed at the time as draconian measures which limited the time I could get to admire the trees and plants.
If all you want to do is gaze about and look at the trees, why go on a bushcraft course?
Any way before learning the 'complicated stuff' you have to show/prove that you can do the simple stuff.

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
If all you want to do is gaze about and look at the trees, why go on a bushcraft course?
Any way before learning the 'complicated stuff' you have to show/prove that you can do the simple stuff.

looking at the tress is the simple stuff, I thought?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
What tree is that?
What can you use it for?
Where does it best grow?
Are any parts of it edible?
What does it look like in spring/summer/autumn/winter?

Trees can be one of the more complex subjects believe it or not.
there are over 50 native varieties, plus all the introduced species.

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
found his leaflet after a few days spent at work... I think he could be on this forum and I assume he makes a living from his activities. I can't really post his name or details....or this could get messy....

So to continue with this who's any good at teaching all I want is a simple course as I need to do one for a job.

who do you recommend?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Where are you based?
there is no point in us recommending a course in scotland if you're in devon.
What specifically do you want the course to cover?

Lo-IQ

Banned
Nov 28, 2009
planet earth
I hang around Old London Town, looking direction South East, South West could go as far as Wales. Not really fussy the course should be run by a nice person and not be not psuedo military shouty stuff been on them already...

just need a course I guess to cover more the quick fixes, shelter, fire, water bit of plant lore uses etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE