Is there a name for this fire configuration?

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Chris

Life Member
Staff member
Sep 20, 2022
3,158
4,633
Somerset, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire
Out in the woods tonight and had a big chunk to burn, so thought I’d experiment. Kicks out a lot of heat but doesn’t seem to be burning down too quickly.

Is there a name for this fire configuration with a big log in the middle, with the fire built around it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6809.jpeg
 
I can see how it would be a good heater for a group surrounding it. The fire around it keeping the surface of the log radiant.

It looks from the pictures that it would use a lot of fuel round the outside to keep that surface glowing.

I haven’t seen it done before and I’m wondering why not.

So no name that I know of.
 
I can see how it would be a good heater for a group surrounding it. The fire around it keeping the surface of the log radiant.

It looks from the pictures that it would use a lot of fuel round the outside to keep that surface glowing.

I haven’t seen it done before and I’m wondering why not.

So no name that I know of.


Yeah, my hope was that it’d radiate outwards for the sitting around the fire situation. Seems to be doing the trick nicely!

I expected it to burn through the outer pieces a lot faster than it is doing, which is curious.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE