Is that full tang Mora available yet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mora knives are good... but they're known for being cheap. The main gripe with this new knife is that it is priced like most knives in its class rather than cheap like its predecessors.

Personally, after being a bit miffed at the price, I just want the knife... not entirely sure why. I thought it was because I wanted to make a sheath for it, until I realised that I can make sheaths for anything... even stuff that isn't supposed to have a sheath. So I don't know why I want to own it, but I'm buying one anyway.

I agree, its overpriced compared to the other Mora knives... and I also agree for the same price there are other good knives.

Great argument I put together there eh?!? ;)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Mora knives are good... but they're known for being cheap. The main gripe with this new knife is that it is priced like most knives in its class rather than cheap like its predecessors.

Personally, after being a bit miffed at the price, I just want the knife... not entirely sure why. I thought it was because I wanted to make a sheath for it, until I realised that I can make sheaths for anything... even stuff that isn't supposed to have a sheath. So I don't know why I want to own it, but I'm buying one anyway.

I agree, its overpriced compared to the other Mora knives... and I also agree for the same price there are other good knives.

Great argument I put together there eh?!? ;)

Superb....
Yes, Moras are excellent for the price. But not good enough if they start charging 3 times more.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Superb....
Yes, Moras are excellent for the price. But not good enough if they start charging 3 times more.

Only valid argument I can think of is branding... a huge number of people have owned a Mora... they make good knives. So 3 times the price, new knife, some people will buy it for the name... some will buy it simply because its a new Mora knife... and when you consider the huge amounts of money spent on a new iPhone when there is very little difference to the previous one... not that unexpected that people will buy the new Mora knife.

Way I look at it, a knife is either a something you covet because its a beautiful creation, or its a tool. Maybe there is a grey area I'm unaware of, but to me I look at a knife in those two categories. A Mora knife is a tool to me. It's not pretty, but it does the job... and a good tool is worth paying the money for.

But circular argument, I return to the new Mora being overpriced and other knives of similar price being equally good tools.

See how I managed to argue a point by not arguing anything other than shoving branding in there?! Brilliant!?!?!? :confused:

Still buying it though :D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I won't be getting one, I still like the 2mm thick clipper type and (preferably) the ones with the wooden barrel handles. Just bought a magenta clipper (or whatever they're calling it now) for swmbo. That being said, making moras with thicker stock was a good idea I think (lots of people won't buy thin knives) and I can understand varying costs and so on...

Still, are pricey mora options really a new thing? You see plenty of old moras in much fancier styling that the old no. 2. The current fashion is "survival knife", "tactical knife" and so on rather than fancy wood grips and stylized ferrules/bolsters/pommels. I have no idea how the current "fancy mora" options compared to the old "fancy mora" options (adjusted for inflation) but the idea of a dressed up mora doesn't seem new.

As long as they still make simple plastic and wood handled models for $10-20 I'm not going to complain. It seems like the main problem isn't that their knives are overpriced but rather that we were mostly all introduced to Moras as a cheap brand (which punches well above its weight and price class).

And... while I wouldn't buy a price-gouged Mora no. 2 on principle, I think they'd still be well worth $30 ;)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Most classic Mora blades have an "adequate" finishing. Perfectly ok, but nothing to rave sbout.
The 2000 version, with the new two thickness blade, is much more nicely finished.
Can I assume this new "expensive" mora has also a nice upmarket finish of the blade?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The finish looks a bit rough on the springfields link above... that could just be camera angle though.

I look at the belly on the blade and keep remembering what Ray says in his book " Essential Bushcraft"....

" Avoid blades which are very round, where the belly rises to the tip, as the knife will tend to slip off the work piece at the end of each cut"

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I'll let you know. I've had a Skrama, it got stolen, so I've ordered another and a Puukko to try out.

I guess it depends on the manufacturer.
I have a couple products from Marttiini, they are very nicely finished, both the metal as the wood.
Roselli is nice too.
Never had a Skrama in my hand.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Not worth the price tag was my first impression.
I like the handle , thickness and length of the blade , but for me the blade shape is all wrong and the finish on the blade is a bit rough. Looked like a polished micro bevel aswell, I really don't like micro bevels!
I can't give you any more as I haven't used it, it's not mine.
It's worth £50, at a push £70 but £100 is a bit much.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-garberg-bushcraft-survival-knife-29462-p.asp
(check the options)

This is Fallkniven/ColdSteel/Custom price range. Mora was always a "good budget knife", not "so good it's worth half of your paycheck". If you want people to pay this sort of money you need to give them a reason, rare materials, adwanced manufacturing proces, even looks. This is poundshop kitchen knife on steroids, squized out of a mashine by the millions. Especially considering my adventures with new Mora products and non existent QC this really looks to me like Mora is beeing taken over by accountants.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I like the handle , thickness and length of the blade , but for me the blade shape is all wrong and the finish on the blade is a bit rough. Looked like a polished micro bevel aswell, I really don't like micro bevels!

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-garberg-bushcraft-survival-knife-29462-p.asp
(check the options)

This is Fallkniven/ColdSteel/Custom price range. Mora was always a "good budget knife", not "so good it's worth half of your paycheck". If you want people to pay this sort of money you need to give them a reason, rare materials, adwanced manufacturing proces, even looks. This is poundshop kitchen knife on steroids, squized out of a mashine by the millions. Especially considering my adventures with new Mora products and non existent QC this really looks to me like Mora is beeing taken over by accountants.

I'm with you guys, though I disagree about micro bevels on scandi grinds. For a hard user, it gives the edge much more strength, and also makes sharpening easier. I dread having to work across the amount of metal on zero ground scandis to sharpen.

This new Mora is obviously flexing its muscles as a hard worker, the grind does make sense for that.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester

£50-£70??? It's a piece of thin stamped metal with a piece of molded plastic on one end and a sharpened on the other.

It's not more advanced than rest of of moras, just different shape/styling. Look around what Condor/Shrade/cold steel/Gerber/Fiskars can do for £30. £50 gives you awesome folder, full size multitool/SAK, axe, machete etc.

I'm really suprised that general reaction is more like "yeah, a bit pricey" instead of "have Mora gone mad?!".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE