Is My English Rod License Valid In Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I bought a rod license today, and the two ladies in the post office gave me two different answers as to whether it's valid in Scotland or not. I'm going to Loch Awe soon,and I'd like to know what paperwork I need to fish there.

Cheers, Michael.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Scotland doesn't use Rod licenses, but certain areas do require a permit.. unfortunately I don't know about Loch Awe in particular.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Copy & paste from www.fishingnet.com

Unlike England and Wales there is no national rod licence in Scotland.

Fishing law in Scotland falls into two categories:

1. Migratory fish - (salmon and sea trout)

2. Everything else (brown trout, rainbow trout, pike and all coarse fish, including grayling.

Migratory Fish
The law regarding salmon and sea trout is very strict and covers the whole country. All anglers must have written permission to fish - usually issued by the land-owner or a club. The law is enforced by Water Bailiffs who can demand to see your permit and in serious cases (poaching etc.) they have powers of arrest, entry and confiscation. Don't mess with them!!!!

Fishing for salmon and sea trout is not allowed on a Sunday.

Everything Else
What the rules are for other species gets complicated. It depends if the area you are fishing in is covered by a Protection Order or not. Protection Orders are designed protect the fish (to stop overfishing) and to protect anglers rights (to ensure public access). So it depends where you are fishing. If it is protected there should be signs about and if it is protected ... anglers are required to have written permission to fish- usually given by the land-owner or a club. Under the Freshwater and Salmon Fisheries (Scotland) Act 1976 it is an offence to fish without legal right or permission in any area covered by a Protection Order. The river Tay and many of its tributaries (Earn, Tummel etc.) are covered by such Protection Orders. Protection Orders are enforced by Wardens who have been appointed by the Secretary of State for Scotland. They can demand to see the written permission and be given proof of identity. But unlike Bailiffs, Wardens have no powers of arrest or confiscation. But if you refuse to cooperate don't be suprised if the Warden calls for help from a Police Officer. You will then be given 14 days to produce your permit. In fact any angler who has a permit can ask to see another anglers permit.

If there is no Protection Order in place there is no legal requirement to have a permit and there is no law of tresspass in Scotland, however common courtesy and sense suggests that anglers seeks permission before entering someone elses land.. for example there could be chemical spaying of crops or shooting going on.

Please bear in mind that Bailiffs and Wardens are trying to protect the fishing for everyone. Most will be polite and helpful. They will have heard every ruse/excuse in the book before including:

"I didn't know you needed a permit"

"I have just arrived"

"I'm only fishing for trout"

"I will get a permit latter"

Don't even bother trying these excuses... they only wind them up! Trout fishing on the Tay is ridiculously cheap compared with down south. Poaching is therefore just not worth the risk

Other Rules
Trout and coarse fishing is allowed on Sundays.

The Salmon season on the River Tay is from January 15th to October 15th. This is extended on the Earn to November 5th.

It is an offence to disturb spawning salmon, their redds, eggs or young. In practice this means that all parr should be carefully returned and don't wade anywhere near redds or spawning fish.

It is illegal to fish with a "fixed line". The definition of a fixed line is somewhat blurred. A ledger rig could be seen as a fixed line. In practice it means that rods must under no circumstances be left unattended and proper bite indicators must be used (eg swing/quiver tip, monkey climber, buzzer bar or Optonic).

Foul hooking of fish (sniggering) is definitely no allowed! Virtually any sort of tackle can be used.. even a fly rod and fly! Serious attempts usually involve large trebble hooks. Do not get caught jerking a bait back.

As of March 1st 1999 prawn and shrimps are banned as baits in the Tay catchment area.

It is now illegal for anglers to sell rod caught salmon.

If there is no Protection Order in place there is no legal requirement to have a permit and there is no law of tresspass in Scotland, however common courtesy and sense suggests that anglers seeks permission before entering someone elses land.. for example there could be chemical spaying of crops or shooting going on.

The above advice is misleading . Where there is no protection order in place, the fish are still "owned" by the riparian owner. So permission is still legally requirred in law.

There is an assumption (and is a commonly held belief even by seasoned anglers) that many folk make, including me in the past :rolleyes: that it was legally ok to fish for other species (but mainly wild brown trout) in a non protection order area without permission or a permit; this is wrong and is illegal. If you do take the risk be warned.

tintock

Mar 11, 2009
On the end of a fishing rod...
Have a look here mate - http://lochearnheadpostoffice.co.uk/EZ/lepos/lepos/fishing-permits.php and here, at the bottom of the page - http://www.loch-awe.com/fish/Default.htm

"Fishing permits are available at several outlets throughout Central Scotland. Local outlets are Loch Awe Stores in Lochawe, Loch Awe Boats at Ardbrecknish, and Awe Service Station at Bridge of Awe. Permits cost £6.00 per day, £12.00 for three days, £20.00 per week, £60.00 for the season (half-price for juveniles and concessions). There will be no charge for children under 12 who are accompanied by a permit-holding adult. Trout and Coarse season runs from 15 March to 6 October, the Pike season from 15 March to 14 March."

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
yep no need for a rod license, just make sure you ask permission of the riparian owner or get a permit. Permits for a lot of lochs/rivers are often just a couple of quid for the day and usually available from the local newsagents/tackle shop/hotel etc if you ask them. They will tell you exactly where you can fish and what methods you can use. Tight lines, and be careful, there was some fisherman lost on loch awe last week, a lot of these waters can be dangerous.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
snip

I there is no law of tresspass in Scotland

This is a greatly passed about myth. There has been a Trespass law in Scotland since 1865 - it was adjusted slightly over the years and more recently to fit in with the recent Land Reform(Scotland) 2003Act. Google it or clicky here

Im only the messenger, so dont shoot me:nana: , see first line of original post, only trying to be helpful, perhaps i wont bother next time.
:rolleyes:

Don't sulk now...:nana: just be careful of sources if you don't know your facts on the legality of something specific as fishing up here as otherwise good intentioned advice can end up with some poor sod getting done for poaching.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE