Is it too early / late for Daiseys ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
We have big grass verges along the driveway at work and this morning i noticed that there were lots of Daiseys in flower ( a good 50 + ) isn't this a bit of a weird time of year for them ?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You can get micro climates that suit certain plants so maybe they are daisies that are making the best of their location. While in the woods last week I saw a red campion still in flower which was a little odd as there was ice down at that point in time lol

Orric

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
There's buttercups here strangely. I remember in our last house we had a heat output from the kitchen, causing a very small place that was far warmer than normal, where a big orange flower would grow every year.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For the past 5 years, more I think, plants have been behaving out of their usual season in our garden and in the hedgerows, and not just hereabouts. Last Oct, down on Exmoor we found oak trees with flower and fruit on them at the same time, which is perhaps the srangest thing I've seen so far. For at least 5 yrs we've been getting primroses and cowslips flowering in Sep/Oct as well as daisies and dandelions and other plants.

Yesterday, on my troll up the lane, our buzzard pair were calling so I stopped to watch. They flew over and round in courtship flight, playing and tumbling, then the male dropped food to the female in flight, she tipped and caught it - absolutely gorgeous to watch but I've never seen that before in mid-December!

And they say there's no such thing as global warming ... the plants and the animlas know.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Daisies can flower pretty much all year around. There are a few plants that do this, such as dandelions and groundsel, although as with anything there are peak times.

Microclimates and seasonal variations have their effects too. Yesterday I was watching a small tortoiseshell butterfly flying about in the shelter of a big lebanon cedar. Initially I couldn't quite believe my eyes. 19th December and there's a butterfly :confused:, but there it was.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Plants and animals don't have calendars. Sometimes they follow the length of the sunlit day, but mostly they follow the temperature and humidity. Last summer, I think a lot of England saw a double crop of strawberries. This year, I noticed a lot of trees kept their leaves for a week or two longer than I remembered they used to. Then we had hard frosts for a while, and quite mild and wet, typical October, weather. I wouldn't be surprised to see daisies, and mushrooms, sprouting up again.

om2ae

Sep 2, 2006
Luton
Hi Guys,

Just thought you would like to know that daisy or using its scientific name Bellis perennis means forever beautiful.

As Haverstman says, mircoclimates will have an effect on the plants and it's not unusal to find this flowering year round, as well as other species detailed.

Matt42

Jun 4, 2012
Staffordshire
Down in bristol a few weeks back there were cherry trees in flower lol, most daisies or leucanthemum (although my latin may be out it is what they are sold as in my local garden centre) are herbaceous perennials so they should die back in the winter, only when the weather is right though, but as we have seen the weather is messed up over these last few years so plants are messed up as well

Last edited:

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
we've had a weird year for plants here too...nesperus's are already flowered, and the almond are putting out flowers too...about a month early! we have just had a bit of a dry period for the last two years, and this years the rain came more or less when it was meant to, so that might have something to do with it though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE