Is it really possible...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Isn't that what the higlanders did with the old plaid(sp?) or have i missed it completely. And yeah interesting facts Mike I wonder if i could get away with that? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

And adapting to sleeping on the floors not always a good thing - I can't sleep in 'proper' beds now kinda shocks people when you stay at their house!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Isn't that what the higlanders did with the old plaid(sp?) or have i missed it completely. And yeah interesting facts Mike I wonder if i could get away with that? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

And adapting to sleeping on the floors not always a good thing - I can't sleep in 'proper' beds now kinda shocks people when you stay at their house!

Yep, absolutely. But I believe the proper old plaid was much heavier than anything you're likely to find today, and it still had all the lanolin in it, so it was almost waterproof too... But they wouldn't be just carrying a plaid and a knife - there'd definitely be a bag of oatmeal and a tinderbox in there too.

I can certainly see that a good deep stand of heather would make a great bed.- I know I've found bits where you could literally throw yourself headlong into the heather without any worry about hitting the ground.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
For a number of years, I and a number of friends held a fall 18th Century camping weekend that we called the Hunt Or Starve! We drove into the campsite with all our gear, but could not bring any food along - only some spices, a little flour, some dry beans, and some cooking oil. (And our beverages of choice - of course!) If you wanted to have anything to eat, you had to hunt/fish/gather it! We held this in late October or early November - so various hunting/trapping seasons were open.

When you put yourself into that type of situation, it has a way of really focusing your attention! There were few plants to "gather" at that time, but we did usually get some cattail and arrowhead roots, even some Jerusalem Artichokes. Apples were usually too far gone (any that the deer had left), and we were actively competing with the squirrels for walnuts and hazelnuts. Of course, we also actively hunted those squirrels, rabbits, grouse, pheasant, racoon, opposum, and some assorted other critters. We even picked up the occasional fish or dug a turtle out of the mud. Deer and Turkey were out of season at that time.

But mostly we were just ... hungry! A dozen or more people suddenly playing hunter/gatherer in a small area at the end of Fall just don't come up with much. But it was a great learning experience. And the consequences of missing a shot or losing a fish really sunk in to our dim brains. At least we had an assortment of ... adult beverages ... to help ease our discomfort.

I'm sometimes amazed at all the ways we've come up with to torture ourselves - and that we survived them! We sure grumbled back then when we were "living it", but now we mostly laugh at outselves and that "shared trevail".

Mikey - that grumpy ol' blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE