Is it my eyes playing up or does this track look weird?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I snapped this deer track because I wanted something that showed the dew claws and it just seems to look weird in the photo now.
In context this was on a (roughly) 15 degree incline heading downwards. I'd like some other opinions.
23072011592.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Perhaps I should explain more:
The bottom of the track looks concave and the overall form is not as sharply defined as I'd expect, especially the gap between the cleaves.
I wondering if there was only light pressure added (a slight touch down and readjustment) but then would you expect to see the dew claws if that was the case?
I wish I could've hung about to look a bit more now but I was with 2 others on a wild flower foray and only paused briefly to snap this.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Are there any Sika Deer in the area? There’s none up here so not very familiar to me but I understand there dew claws are very close.
My first impression was dog’s digital pads and claws moving to the right note the sand on the leaves possibly transfer from intredigital pad, it would have been nice to see under that leaves.

You should have said you seen a birds nest orchid here last week to by some time.

ps, do you call it a interdigital pad or a metacarpal pad,
proximal or carpal pad.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm thinking you might be right on the dog thing and I was having a mind melt. There are Sika in that area though but then I don't recall seeing any other dog tracks. I dunno. Anyhow, I went out and found a proper dew claw track yesterday which I'll post up tomorrow.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
looks like the front two toes of a large dog, soil transfer on the plantain and compression other side of plant into the soil, its soft ground a deer would have left a good print there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Here we go, this is more like it.
Found at the base of a vertical bank on heavy clay soil. The depth of the slots is very deep, about 2/3rds the length of the lighter.
Only Roe Deer are prevalent here.

29072011609.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE