Is friction your primary source of ignition?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm sitting here sipping a can of Stella, primarily to purge the taste of smoke from my mouth. Reason being that I've just completed what's turning out to be my annual fire by friction refresher. Every once in a while I feel the urge, so I go at it hammer and tongs until I knock out a flame, but then that's it, until the next urge.

Normally, I choose to use a flint and steel, or a ferrocerium rod with either char cloth or birch bark, but how many of you guys choose to use friction as your primary source of ignition in the outdoors? I'm thinking that I may be packing a hearth and drill on my next outing.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Like you Chris, i tend to use fire by friction when the urge takes me and just to keep my hand in, most times i do it, i go away with the feeling that i have learned something new and my abilities have improved a step in the right direction, dont feel i could guarantee success every time i do it though....

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Like you Chris, i tend to use fire by friction when the urge takes me and just to keep my hand in, most times i do it, i go away with the feeling that i have learned something new and my abilities have improved a step in the right direction, dont feel i could guarantee success every time i do it though....

That's largely why I don't do it as often, success that is. That's why I'm considering making it my first option. Guess I'll still have a ferro rod, matches and lighter to fall back on, but at least I'll be getting some practice in.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Good idea mate, think i will make a few mini sets and give it a bash myself next few trips, let me know how you get on and any tips/lessons learned you find about the experience.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Choose your wood carefully :)

I made a bad choice of birch hearth and hazel drill last time... after half an hour and nearly a mild heart attack, out came the fatwood and lighter!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
really good thread Chris....

i was thinking of doing this from now on, maybe as you will have with fero rod as back up.....

the next time im out its minimal kit as below:-

knife
axe
bow drill
water bottle
tin for boiling water or tin of big beans etc for a little food
good tinder for bow drill

i will be in just my clothes and jacket and kit as above, natural shelter cordage etc......food will be what i can find (appart from the can of "stuff"..:))

due to the lack of kit i will have a pouch or pocket with fire steel puri tabs and some energy bars just as an emergency pack, i might also bung a survival blanket in too...

good idea this thread chris..........;)

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Chris, you know I keep threatening to do that, but it never seems to happen. I might wait until summer to make it a little more comfortable. You'll have to post and let me know how you get on. That would make for a good thread.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Chris, you know I keep threatening to do that, but it never seems to happen. I might wait until summer to make it a little more comfortable. You'll have to post and let me know how you get on. That would make for a good thread.

im going to see Raikey at some point so it will be then, he is doing a light weight thing with nothing but a bug out bag, i dont have one and thought sod it just do it....

as for the summer i will be using bow drill for my fire, been meaning to do it for some time....;)

i will have to sort the new camera so i can upload the pic's....

it will also give me a chance to try this out.......

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
for the benefit of the pedantic, can I introduce the word primitive into the thread? ;-)

And for the REALLY pedantic, can I just point out that lighters, matches, ferro rods and suchlike all rely on friction? Bilmo's the first with a non-friction firelighting method in this thread. :pokenest:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE