Is Black Nasty as strong as cordage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
As we all know, natural cordage is used in almost everything bushcrafty. Most of us also know the almost universal use of Duck tape to solve lifes little woes, like the fact you've just severed a finger, which is only hanging on by a tiny flap of skin, so out comes the Tape.

When we are making things such as Fish spears and Arrows, were we use all sorts of damp natural fibers such as withies or ligaments which are then left to dry, is duck tape as strong? I know it wont look as pretty, but it would be a dam sight quicker.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its handy stuff for sure

My peronal "bodge kit" is:

Super Glue
Duct Tape
Cable Ties
Paracord
Fence Wire
Leatherman

I reckon I can fix the common cold with them!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah I only carry the thin stuff as a result - the thick stuff is a brute.

Fence wire is great for things with "heat" though - wiring up a dangling exhaust - stuff like that. All the synthetic stuff melts.

Zip ties are amazing things - I bought 500 releasable ones in varios lengths a while ago. Recent uses have included:

Tree Guards
Bean Poles
Improvides butterfly cage over the brassicas
Clamping purlons in place before bending on brackets

I could go on.....

Knots work is great - but that one handed "thread and tug" is so amazingly useful.

Funny you said "Suburban Bushcraft" Toddy - a bloke I respect a lot was looking for a "term" recently and used "Streetcraft" for something similar.....great term I thought...covers a lot of useful bodgery!

Of course "farmcraft" can only involve three things

Bailer twine
Blue String
Fence Wire

Thats it - nothing else is needed :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a length of duck tape wrapped round a piece of card, that lives in my FAK so is always handy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Three reasons for summer's blistered hands when I was a lad ...happy days ;)

I'm fairly convinced that blue stuff has removed more skin than every cosmetic surgeon in the world :(

Remember that cut - on the bottom joint of your little finger - where the twine ALWAYS sliced in when lifting the old square bails? There is a special place in hell for lifting hay bails!

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I'm fairly convinced that blue stuff has removed more skin than every cosmetic surgeon in the world :(

Remember that cut - on the bottom joint of your little finger - where the twine ALWAYS sliced in when lifting the old square bails? There is a special place in hell for lifting hay bails!

It only hurts till you get proper calluses then it's okay, for the soft handed victorinox put a hook on there SAK's exactly for this purpose.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cable ties and duck tape, got to have them :) Below are my farther in laws boots which went tits up on a three day walk with full packs, this dodgy looking fix lasted the whole of the last day and meant he could finish the hike with us

Knife2045.jpg

Knife2058.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Cable ties and duck tape, got to have them :) Below are my farther in laws boots which went tits up on a three day walk with full packs, this dodgy looking fix lasted the whole of the last day and meant he could finish the hike with us

Knife2045.jpg

Knife2058.jpg

What brand of boot were they ?......, just so we know what not to buy ;)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
What brand of boot were they ?......, just so we know what not to buy ;)

They were Lowa I think, but to be fair they were about 12 years old(apparently) and the day before we got caught in a full on storm all are boots were soaked and I think these ones decided enough was enough :)

Last edited:

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
I recently bought 20 wire coat hangers. Only needed 2 or 3 for a small stove project. Several of the spare ones will be be added to my pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE