Is a sewn axe mask insecure?

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Hello I need some protection for my axe and I have leather and linen thread at home. Do I need to worry about the mask getting cut open by the axe cutting edge one day? For example Gränsfors axe masks are put together using rivets and not thread.

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
I think you'll be fine- I've made a couple of sewn axe masks, and touch wood, they are both going strong. On both I used a solid thick welt, glued and double sewn. made of 3mm ish leather.

R

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not if you put a proper welt into the mask. Only one layer on a narrow carving axe needed - but several on an obtuse layer like a Roselli - I remember Singtek put about 6 laers of 4mm into my Roselli allround !

But a welt is where the bit meets the leather - so it won't touch a stich

Mine are several years old and far, far better than the originals

Red

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks so the welt is one (or more) extra piece of leather that you sew through that is orientated against the cutting part of the axe head?

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
Yes i believe your correct. You might find the "how to make a knife sheath" type articles available on this site useful, as they show how the welt is cut, placed, and sewn together.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is indeed - this is the welt I stitched in between the sides of a knife sheath

748198708_852c6d2c52_m.jpg

This illustrates Singteks work building up a deep welt on an obtuse angled axe

408206873_5ff6d124cf_m.jpg

I have a number of similar masks - all still going strong!

408206863_a65422650c_m.jpg

And this is a welt by the incomporable magnus - with brass and pewter stringing built into the welt to match a knife!

1382769190_a6e4e7c68d_m.jpg

Hope that helps?

Red

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks for the info I had a go at it today and I'm happy with it although it turned out kinda big. The leather is from some old handbags.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats not bad at all;)

One bit of advice ( no pun intended:eek:)

Its a good "rule of thumb" to make the distance of your seam from the edge of the work; about the same as the thickness, of the seam you are sewing.

So if you are sewing through 7mm of leather, make your stitch line 7mm from the edge?

It's a guide I try to follow anyway, although it sometimes goes wrong:D

Not trying to be critical, just offering advice:)

all the best

R.B.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
No it isnt a roseli (similar Finnish form, but I own one and its not one of theirs) I'm thinking it is a hand forged one sold in Finland on a log house building web site, cant remember the name riight now....

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Thats not bad at all;)

One bit of advice ( no pun intended:eek:)

Its a good "rule of thumb" to make the distance of your seam from the edge of the work; about the same as the thickness, of the seam you are sewing.

So if you are sewing through 7mm of leather, make your stitch line 7mm from the edge?

It's a guide I try to follow anyway, although it sometimes goes wrong:D

Not trying to be critical, just offering advice:)

all the best

R.B.

Not heard that before. Why is it suggested? (Genuine interest!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE