Iron Pyrites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Be a bit unfortunate if you happened to be a pirate with a wooden leg and one of your mates got peckish...

:yikes:

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Kath

It was something I read during a google search which I can no longer find but I did find the following.

"Under damp conditions pyrites will decompose to a yellowish powder or spicular green vitriol, and therefore pyritised fossils have to be treated with a special damp-resisting preparation to prevent disintegration."

Thinking about it the copperas was made from decomposing of the pyrites for a year or more them adding scrap iron, so presumably the break down of the damp pyrites gives iron sulphates and sulphuric and sulphurous acid. The addition of iron reacts with the acids to increase the yield of copperas or iron sulphate.

So the damp pyrites may form an acid in which in turn can decompose cloth wood paper etc.

There going to be a chemist out there who will tell me im wrong?

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
if your ever down this way... i have heard of loads of people just picking it out of the river up stream, i have never found any, but then again i have never looked im told that if you spend a while looking around you can find some!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
KIMBOKO said:
So the damp pyrites may form an acid in which in turn can decompose cloth wood paper etc.
Cheers! :wink:

Would you believe I have a paper bag of 'em sitting on my wooden coffee table that I think I better go move now ... :sulk:

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
So Paganwolf did You find any?
I also went but to Walton on the Naze Sunday afternoon. I found a few pieces. The tide was up so there was little chance of looking at the recent cliff falls.
I tried spark making at home and occasionally get a few dull sparks i feel quite pleased with myself. I just need the perfect tinder.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
No didnt get down there this weekend i was hyjacked by kids!!! im going to try again this weekend, well done for finding some :eek:): , char cloth will probably be your best bet for the sparks from pyrites, :wink:

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I've got some beach pyrite hanging about. If anyone wants some Pm me and i'll send you some over. I got about 20 bit so first come first served. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE