Iron Bead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
The continuing hot dry weather is producing some interesting results locally. My daily routine is a wander down the lane that leads to home and in places the rough Tarmac has melted and shifted. Yesterday I spotted something protruding from the displaced gravel of the verge.

[/url
[url=https://ibb.co/2gvkgcs]

It is heavy, about half a pound, there is no thread in the hole, so it didn't screw onto anything, rather I think it rotated on a bar/spindle. The sides are slightly flattened so I'm guessing it ran beside something else, possibly a similar metal ball.
Best guess is, it's from old Farm Machinery perhaps something like a Harrow or similar, towed over ploughland to make a seed bed?
The Lane leading to home runs past a long established farm, so the time period could be easily 100 years plus.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting find :)

My first thought wasn't agricultural but arms, and then I thought that I minded seeing something similar advertised not long since (was looking for cast iron clothes poles) and came across this site.
They don't say what they're for, apart from perhaps railings, but claim they have many uses....... :dunno:

You might ask @Dave Budd, he might well have a good idea of what it is ?

M

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
That's an interesting website, Toddy. My first thought was arms too, I only saw the rounded surface in the ground and thought Cannon Ball, Saker or swivel gun bore, but then I saw it was drilled right through. I live on what was once a great and ancient country estate, but most of it was in existence long before the Victorian 'Iron Age' so there are not many metal fences, ornamental gates etc: although there are a few, that's why I guessed farm machinery.
It's interesting to see there is still a market for steel balls of the type and I'm surprised how cheap they seem to be.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
It certainly looks like a swivel from a 3 point linkage, in which case it should be a standard size.
I think you may have solved the puzzle Kadushu. I looked up 'Lower link ball' on various Agricultural websites and that seems to fit the object.
The tractors that work the farm these days are monsters, but from photos I know that little Grey Fergies and similar were used in the Stately Home private vegetable gardens down the lane.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've only just seen this thread, but was going to say it's the ball off a 3pnt linkage or similar. They usually wear rather than fall out though!
Unless they hop out of a toolbox because they're using a different size in the linkages :)

Had that happen to me once when I went over a bump a bit too fast :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dave Budd

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Unless they hop out of a toolbox because they're using a different size in the linkages :)

Had that happen to me once when I went over a bump a bit too fast :rolleyes:
That's right, I have to change mine quite often as I change the equipment. They do fall off if the R /split pin comes out, but that doesn't happen often

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That's a good point. I only have one size kit, so hadn't thought about that. I have several sizes of pin and lengths of pto shaft, but tend to leave them attached to the implement in case i lise them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE