Iron Age earner

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Last year, as a Pre-Moot Course - I did a bit of leather working under the watchful eye of Eric and he showed me how to make Viking Turnshoes and courans (sp?)
This year I went to a "prehistoric fayre" at Castell Henllys Iron Age fort (well worth a visit - look it up on the web!). As I was leaving I was asked if I would do Bushcraft Skills demos at the next "prehistoric fayre" - no pay but I could sell my crafts etc ....
Naturally I said "yes!" and repeated it when they asked if I could do it in Iron Age costume.
With advice (and the generous donation of some fabric :) ) from Toddy I put together an outfit and trotted along to show them what I intended wearing to see if it passed muster.
Well - they seemed quite happy with my clothing :) but when they saw the shoes I was asked if I could make all the staff Iron Age shoes as well :D
So now I am half way through making six pairs of bespoke Iron Age pit boots in 3mm veg tan:)
A big thankyou to Eric and Toddy for helping me make an impression :)

By the by - I will be doing more fayres at CH in the future (not that I sold much on the first one) and may even be hired to do do skills demos next year as part of the general information in the season - not just fayres!
Pictures of me as a "Cunning old Celt -
DSCF6384.jpg

DSCF6381.jpg

DSCF6380.jpg

DSCF6378.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They had better be paying you for making six pairs of shoes.

Love the outfit - was going to say costume, but it isn't, its a set of clothes from another period, but it works.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice work :approve: ~ first pic needs a bit of a 'tweak' though :yikes: :rofl: .

Not too affected by the flooding I hope? By my reckoning you're not quite in the worst affected areas, but probably not far enough from it for the weather to not be _interesting_ at the moment :yikes: :canoe: :umbrella: .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well phil - TBH I did not register that the weather was worse than normal ... no floods near us at all :)
As to being paid for the shoes - oh yes:)
Not as much as I get for skills coaching though - but coaching is on hold at the mo due to the rivers being a bit big....

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
TBH I did not register that the weather was worse than normal ... no floods near us at all :)

Are you a latter day Canute and did you turn back the tide by trying to sell stuff to it? ;)

being paid for the shoes - oh yes:)

Good man :D

... but coaching is on hold at the mo due to the rivers being a bit big....

:thinkerg: Even canoe coaching? :canoe:

You still need a slap on the wrist for that first pic though :p

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Are you a latter day Canute and did you turn back the tide by trying to sell stuff to it? ;)

Good man :D

:thinkerg: Even canoe coaching? :canoe:

You still need a slap on the wrist for that first pic though :p

Cant coach skills on swollen waters...
On the day I replaced my watch with a leather strap to hide my tan line...

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Gah! I was holidaying with the family in Parrog last week- not five minutes from Castell Henllys and I never knew it was there!

Very nice outfits John.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE