Invite: 2017 Yukon Bushcraft Camp/Course & Canoe Trip (June 2017)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Hi! Arya,

I use the weight I can do 20 to 30 reps for failure. When I can do 30 reps I increase the weight. With these excercises I started with 15lbs three times a week. For the Standing Row, I'm up to 40 lbs per hand and can do 22 reps. Weighted Torso Twist I'm up to 25 lbs & 28 reps.

I'm working for stamina not strength and it seems to be working. Make sure you start with low weight and work your way up.
Thank you for the reply, Checkmate! :)

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Good idea! I will post it up

Evening! ValeTudoGuy,

You should post something to the Bushcraft USA forum. There are a lot of members on that site that live in Britsh Columbia.

Before I signed up for this trip, I would only come to the Bushcraft UK site once a month or so. Now I'm over here daily reading and posting.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best to ask for someone living in the British Columbia"mainland" = aka the lower Fraser river delta region.
I'm in BC and yet , it's a 9+ hr hard drive to Vancouver.
Outside of Surrey, even as close as Chilliwack, is a very intense drive into YVR.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Best to ask for someone living in the British Columbia"mainland" = aka the lower Fraser river delta region.
I'm in BC and yet , it's a 9+ hr hard drive to Vancouver.
Outside of Surrey, even as close as Chilliwack, is a very intense drive into YVR.

Hey! Fellow Canuck,

Good point. ValeTudoGuy should just ask look for bushcrafters in the Vancouver area.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Im very excited to get some more canoe experience. My plan is to buy one for family trips. We had a lovely trip down the Dordogne on tandum sit ons a couple years back, so I will likely get a 2+1 sit on soon with a mind to upgrade to a nice touring sit in at some point.

ValeTudoGuy,

Were you able to get out in a canoe this past weekend? Or is this something you'd like to do in your area later this year?

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
I wasnt, due to work and not currently owning a canoe.

I do get out sometimes as my friend owns a couple of inflatables. I do plan on buying a sit on later this year to get out on in the lake district and my local Crook 'o' lune area.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I wasnt, due to work and not currently owning a canoe.

I do get out sometimes as my friend owns a couple of inflatables. I do plan on buying a sit on later this year to get out on in the lake district and my local Crook 'o' lune area.

Hey! ValeTudoGuy,

In the next couple of years when my kids get older. This is the canoe I really want to purchase!
http://pakboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86&Itemid=147

Here is a video of Lars Monsen using one to cross northern Canada with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOqip1-f0s&index=2&list=PLAF1A219B60F9A35C

With this canoe you don't need a large storage area and you can throw it in your boot to transport it. Also at only 25.4 kg, I can single carry this canoe over most portages.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hey! ValeTudoGuy,

It's almost time for you to jump on the plane heading for the Yukon. Enjoy yourself, next week at the bushcraft course. I'll see you on June 10th.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Yes its very close! I have unfortunately got to work until 10pm the night before I travel.. So my first couple days I think is going to be exhausting, especially spending 20hrs in Vancouver airport. Lol

Im excited though, see you soon!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ask about the SkyTrain to get away from YVR. It's cheap to get to the ocean/Waterfront station.
There's a big collection of jade and soapstone carvings in there.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Yes its very close! I have unfortunately got to work until 10pm the night before I travel.. So my first couple days I think is going to be exhausting, especially spending 20hrs in Vancouver airport. Lol

Im excited though, see you soon!

Evening! ValeTudoGuy,

You might want to check out the C & N Backpackers Hostel.

https://ca.hotels.com/ho454079/?q-c...R=1&q-room-0-adults=1&YGF=3&MGT=1&ZSX=0&SYE=3

The price is $ 29.00 Canadian per night. That's 16.82 pounds per night not a bad deal.

At least you can get a little rest while you're laying over in Vancouver.

Here are a few more places on Hotels.com

https://ca.hotels.com/search/search...adults=1&q-room-0-children=0&sort-order=PRICE

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
ValeTudoGuy: the Northshore mountains in Vancouver are a key geographic feature in pictures of YVR.
At least buy a bunch of postcards.
The one with the stripe down the front is Grouse Mountain. That's a ski run which is lit up at night.
With a clear sky, you can see all of YVR spread out below you and the night glow from Seattle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE