Interesting woodgas stove

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I have a 4 dog stove that works in a similar way,
''Its unique design allows for a after burning of hot gases thus increasing efficiency to 70-80%. “ a stove that burns smoke”
http://fourdog.com/index_files/bushcooker.htm

Roger at Bison Bushcraft now sells these in the UK along with the excellent kochanski billies
http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page16/page16.html#dog

No connection just a happy customer

There's nothing new about woodgas stoves, the thing that is different about the biolite is that it powers it's own fan to increase efficiency .

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
What you cant see in those pictures of the LT stove is a fixed fan type arrangement in the base of the stove as air is drawn up through the stove the fixed fan puts the air and smoke into a spin, therefore getting the same effect as a moving fan without the problems associated with moving parts. They look like they are both using very similar technology.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
What you cant see in those pictures of the LT stove is a fixed fan type arrangement in the base of the stove as air is drawn up through the stove the fixed fan puts the air and smoke into a spin, therefore getting the same effect as a moving fan without the problems associated with moving parts. They look like they are both using very similar technology.

Ahh I see, that's quite a good idea :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They look quite interesting, we'll have to see how they perform when a few folk get their hands on one.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I recently took apart a dumped mini-fridge with the intention of grafting the thermo-electric device and heatsink onto my hoblow stove. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17516

The intent is to suck/blow the air intake over the heatsink before it goes into the combustion chamber. My thinking is that it'd serve 2 purposes, keep the cool side cooler ( = better electric generation ) and warm the air before it enters the system ( = better burning efficiancy )

This biolitestove is much nicer made and a more practicle size though, definitely intested in getting one when they come out.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
looks a very interesting little cooker, would love to say that I want one, but i'm sure the mrs might have something to say if i bought "yet another cooker"

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
On the programme that Rik linked to way back called The Colony (Google it, it is on Discovery in the States) they used a wood gasifier to power a small engine to generate electricity for a bank of car batteries that was powering their tools and lighting through an inverter. They later used the same technology on a larger scale to run a truck!

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I have always avoided the electric fan-type arrangement, as I would hate to know it's reliability factor.

DC brushless fans (assuming that's what it is) can be ridiculously reliable and I assume it'd still work albeit less efficiently if it died. Not needing batteries is pretty attractive... and it's shiny :cool:

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE