interesting pouches?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi what do you guy's think of these?

they only cost me a couple of quid!

n675721040_657700_1792.jpg

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
They're SAS drop pouches the top loop was so you could wear them lower on the belt to allow a bergan to sit more comfortably above webbing. I've got one of them myself, at a couple of quid you've got a bargain! :D
Colin

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Nice belt kit, add a roll pin and you're all set. They can be found (I think Kitmonster) and will improve the comfort sunstantially.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Rich,

Looks a lot like a set I have mate, twin Armalite drop pouches, 44 pattern water bottle pouch, Escape ration pouch, another 44 W/B pouch, US M16 ammo pouch. If you got them for a couple of quid you did very well mate, they are becoming quite hard to find in good condition. As Mastino said a roll pin belt will set the kit off mate, also means you don't have to fiddle around with the 58 belt if you want to wear your rig over different types of clothing.

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D i think now i should say,
it's fake! (the only obvious givaway being the rather annoying position of a now removed square kit label from the front of the 44" waterbottle pouch.
(apart from the 58 belt and US pouch)

I actually made the whole set from scratch,
a bit of a full on sewing project,

i'd always wanted the pouches in the TA (1990) i was issued 58" gear which i liked but the SAS stuff was gucci kit and even then rare and expensive.
if you put a genuine set next to mine you'd probably see the difference, i have spent ages looking through books and the net to find pictures to compare and copy for size ect, it's taken me a few months of research and design but i'm very happy with my results.

the pouches were made from an old army kit bag, (which cost £2) the belt loops were made from the kit bag strap.
the insides of the pouches (which i have lined with waterproof nylon :approve: ) is made from a US army waterproof rucksack liner.

the fastenings are from a 58 poncho roll,
and the 44" waterbottle pouches will hold my 58 bottle Crusader mug and cooker(much bigger than real ones).

the 44" water bottle fastenings "lift the dot" themselves are quite rare, i found these in a sailing shop, the fittings are designed to be screwed down to a deck i managed to get the same working action by pop riviting it together with some washers. i painted them black they are really stainless steel (the origionals would probably be brass.)

i ran out of the thick strap and finished off the "back" (escape ration) pouch with simular nylon webbing (you'll see if you look closely).

as for the roll pin belt i actually made one today! with the same 58" belt and a roll pin buckle from an old US army bag.

I've used it a few times without a yoke and it's a killer, very bouncey if you run or jump.

i've modified a 58"yoke so it can be worn with the set,
also i've added a few loops to tie the pouches down a bit, though i may have to resort to a strap going around the pouches.

I'll try to get another photo or two here.

i guess sum total including extras for the whole kit (inc cotton) must be around £12?

Cheers
Rich;)

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
Excellant work Rich.

It didnt look like a homemade job until you pointed it out. (it had me fooled)

Very professional looking set.

For around 12 quid ill take a set ;)

The skill level on BCUK never fails to amaze me.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Soldier of Fortune do a modern version of the low riding pouch in DPM, green or desert for £19.99.

MAC547.jpg

SAS Escape and Evasion pouch , this is the latest version of the Classic 58" webbing Escape and Evasion pouch issue in the 1970's. Made of Waterproof PLCE webbing the pouch is slimmer than the issue ration pouch and designed to just carry a mess tin with your Ration/Survival kit inside. The pouch can be worn on any belt as it has two sets of belt loops to carry it normally, or worn low with the drop down loops. Also available in Desert or Green.

I was thinking of buying the green to use a possibles pouch at one point, but decided against it.

Simon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That is nicely done and really useable too
I too enjoy cannibalising old kit; more stripping down/cutting off bits than your highly skilled work though
Its amazing how useful all the straps buckles etc which you remove can be for other things

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Me too. Im always doing things to kit I find.

Such as the adapted side pouch I made for Eric for the Xmas brantub.

Im currently making some lanyards.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Good work Rich ;) ,

Nice to see you are keeping your hand in, have you used the cam netting yet?
I've got three original sets, in varying degrees of repair, slowly filling them with period kit. I got one of the newer escape ration pouches from Silvermans a few years ago, I like the design and option of wearing normally or low slung, just a bit bigger than a mess tin. Did you manage to get the waterproof lining in you ER pouch mate.

Brian

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi brian,
sorry i thought this thread was finished!
the camo pieces have been put to good use! i might start anther thread...

the "ER" escape ration pouch does have the lining!
i even put a fake stores number on the ammo pouches LOL!

i just managed to find a real 44 pattern water bottle pouch in my local store (it was the only one they'd seen for years! only £5!
and I've amazed myself how well i've done!

I'll try to add some new photo's ASAP

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
just thought loads of people are looking for this stuff so i'll do a list of well know phrases they can search for and hopefully end up here!

(SAS webbing, S.A.S. webbing, special forces, SF, pouches, 44" pattern, 58" patt, belt order, CEFO, CEMO, SEEK kit, personal equipment, escape and evasion, belt kit)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE