Interesting overnighter

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
That is pretty impressive piloting skills getting that helicopter in there like that.

Best Wishes
David

You should have seen where the sea king went.The gorge is 200 feet deep at the point he picked up the casualty and both sides are covered with trees.The sea king came within 60 feet of the ground,thats 140 feet below ground level.
Now that's impressive.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hey Chris. Sorry but we have no info on the girl once she was picked up by the guys from RAF Chivenor. Our best guess is that she was probably dropped off at the hospital in Merthyr as the rescue teams and chopper went straight from that callout to another on Tabletop mountain by Crickhowell. Looks like the guys had an exciting afternoon as another woman also had a lower leg injury and one or two of the team ended up getting a lift onto the mountain in the sea king.

One quick point to make (sorry for the hijack!) Is that the government is planning to cut back on the SAR helicopter coverage across the UK. Part of the plan ie to downgrade RAF Chivenor so it no longer gives 24/7 service. Without this coverage it is very possible that a chopper would have had to come down from RAF Valley in Angelsey. This would have taken up to an hour longer and the girls life would have been at even more risk. Just a couple of months ago the RAF Chivenor chopper transported an injured ice climber who had fallen by the Talybont reservoir. While the media reported that he had broken his back he had in fact smashed his pelvis into 25 pieces and was bleeding internally. If he had been carried out or had to wait for an RAF Valley chopper he'd not have survived.

This is a sobering thought. Especially for.a lot of.the guys on here who like to go to into the middle of nowhere and play with sharp and pointy toys. Just think of what could happen to you if you are leaking blood all over the place or are sitting there watching a mate drift away and there was no hope of a quick trip to A&E as there was no chopper available in time. If you think it's worth fighting for this important service join the Facebook campaign.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Funny enough I'm sat in a 4 day health and safety course and we've just been talking about regulatory responsibilitiea, duty of care, risk assessments and all that fun stuff :-( The tutor was very impressed by this situation. At a minimum it must be reported to the Health & Safety Executive who'll investigate. It's very likely the "instructor" will face charges under the Health & Safety at Work Act. It can end up in court and while he could face prison it would most likely be a fine. Unfortunately its unlikely to stop the guy from working in thie area but at least a successful prosecution makes a civil claim by the casualty more likely to be successful. Maybe the claim could be big enough to put the guy out of business.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
After talking to the mountain rescue team and voicing my concerns I was told that the man in question sits on the mountain rescue safety committee.Make what you will of that.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Are you saying that the instructor sits on the Mountain Rescue safety committee ? If that's the case then the MRC need informing. If the op doesn't want to do it then I will happily do it for them.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
it isn't bear grylls by any chance is it?hes always doing daft things like jumping of things he shouldn't

i just hope the girl makes a full recovery

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE