Interesting Knot Site

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No problem.

The thing I liked is they seem to use two colours, which can make it so much easier to work out what goes where.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Many of the knots shown on that site are basically the same knot with different names and many are not technically knots, but hitches! That is unnecessarily confusing for a beginner.

My advice would be to learn, ie, a Bowline, a Figure 8; a Sheet Bend; a Round Turn and Two Half Hitches, a Clove Hitch, and a Rolling Hitch: These are the most useful of all knots, bends and hitches and introduce an understanding of how they work!

(I once had an American tell me that a Bowline was a good old Texas cattleman's knot. I said that I thought a cow had horns, which totally confused him and he went off muttering something about godamm Limeys!)

The Reef Knot, although very useful, is a misnomer. It is a bend which should never be used as such!

Useful variations are the Blood Knot which can be used to join lines together and a Grinner Knot for attaching to a fishing hook or a ring.

Cheers.

Jun 13, 2008
mold
pango also called the suffolk six very usefull knots to know and a good start for most other knoting techniques

i wonder how many knots we all generally use when out and about and on our lanyards etc so ill start the list with a nice easy clove hitch

Jun 13, 2008
mold
a prissik knot is a good fastener for tarp to ridge line allows tarp to be pulled tight or slide back for easy folding as for ridge anchors we all do it differently i think as is human nature learn a few simple ones and experiment print some easy to follow instuctions i havent mentioned any so as not to fix any in your mind

When people start to talk about knots I always start to back away slowly with a polite smile on my face - people get so wound up by them (excuse the pun).

I use knots on a daily basis for rescue training and it never stops amusing me that when you get a few guys together with a piece of rope/string a swinging ***k contest begins. Everyone tries their hardest to remember the most technical knot they can manage (usually making it up after the first few turns) to create a rats nest that has probably reduced the strenght of the line to 20% and if ever loaded would fuse into a gordian knot never to be released.

You only need a few knots that should do what you need doing using the least amount of effort to tie and more importantly release if necessary. All the rest are just taking up valuble space in your memory that could be better used storing anecdotes and jokes for when you are trying to keep your spirits up after your tarp has collapsed ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE