interesting bits of kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Got a few bits of kit from that dreaded place recently (ebay for the uninitiated) - give me something to play with whilst off work!

The first was a stainless steel alcohol stove with its own stand - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230900484478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

THis is not lightweight, but puts out some serious heat, and is really sturdy and nicely designed - even down to having the legs using springs and detents to fold in/out! Comes in a nice little bag as well. THe top acts as a snuffer, but won't seal the container to allow you to travel with alcohol in the stove. It is however easy to pour unused fuel back into your fuel bottle from the burner. Cost just over £13 including delivery. And lets not forget its also shiny:)

next is a folding pot/pan set, which works really well with the above burner/stove (which also fits inside the pot/pan set with room to spare). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310297668612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 I did a "make an offer" bid of £9 delivered, and got it for that. Pot holds 900ml, lid/pan holds 340 ml, and can double up as a cup (tested this with a nice cuppa - works really well, although lip is a bit hot at first)

A measured 500 ml (or two cups, as our Colonial colleagues say:) ) of cold water from the tap (currently snow on ground, so water really cold) - boiled in this pan on the above alcohol stove in exactly 6 minutes (hard rolling boil) - not too shabby.

Last is a copy of the Primus Eta pots with the built-in heat exchanger on the bottom - see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 This is a 1.7 litre pot with a lid/frying pan. Frying pan is a nice useable size too, although haven't used it as such yet, so can't comment on the efficiency of the hard anodizing or its non-stickability! Currently for sale at £19.99 on ebay including delivery, but always worth making an offer.

Just for fun, I tried boiling the 500ml of very cold tap water in this - firstly on the alcohol stove discussed above -then on a Primus Multi-fuel stove burning white gas (Aspen 4). THe alcohol stove boiled again in exactly 6 minutes (the pan is more efficient, but has a greater mass to warm up than the smaller stove above, which I'm assuming accounts for the similar boil times).

The Primus multi-fuel stove results were atonishing. Despite chilling the pan down to tap-water temp by running water into it repeatedly, it managed to boil - hard-rolling boil - the 500 ml in this pan in 2 minutes dead. So chalk one up to the eficiency of these heat-exchanger pans! Whilst boil times aren't really of key importance to me personally, it does tend to indicate the efficiency of the burner and/or the pans. Which means better use of fuel, which is good news!

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I was lucky the other day, went into a charity shop and got one of those stainless stoves for a pound.
Good to hear it throws out some heat,I have not had time to use it yet. Had not seen them before so I googled it- mine has `Simon stove` written on the side.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I was lucky the other day, went into a charity shop and got one of those stainless stoves for a pound.
Good to hear it throws out some heat,I have not had time to use it yet. Had not seen them before so I googled it- mine has `Simon stove` written on the side.

Good spot! Mine only has the "Out-D" writing on it as per the pics on the advert.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I have been looking at that stove as my local surplus kit store have them in for about the same price you paid.

Also I have those pots. I base my solo cook kit on it. It holds my trangia burner with a pot stand, a foldable windscreen I got of ebay alternativley a butane gas box and butane burner.
With room to pare for some instant soup bags, hot chocloate or tea, + some salt and pepper I blatantly steal when I go crazy and eat out.

Here is a vid from when I had just recieved it. The only thing differnet is that now I store the trangia burner, pot stand and wind screen inside the cooking pot.

[video=youtube;kgwPiV70uWs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgwPiV70uWs[/video]

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A couple of puictures of it in action. THe Coffee Percolator is a 1.9 litre stove-enamelled Walmart/ozark trail special! The stove boiled it up nicely, and coffee wasn't bad either, even if the Mrs shouted at me for firing it up in the house.......

flame 2.jpgflame 1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE