Interesting Beetle

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw this fellah today - I was wondering if any entymologists can confirm my tentative ID of Dor Beetle? - big fellah - pushing an inch long

1465178724_55a98ff610_o.jpg

Red

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Yet another cracking photo Red. Not an expert opinion but I agree with your ID - Dor Beetle (Geotrupes stercorarius). Didn't its much bigger brother/sister appear in 'Starship Troopers' though?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just saw him when he (and we) were out for a walk :D I was a little confused though because the females apparently use horse or cow dung to provide a larder and they live on lowland. This guy was in a Welsh Valley where there are only sheep........

He looked right for a Dor though so I thought I would ask (the electric blue seemed to clinch it for me)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jodie - I've found that photography really lets me get to like "crawlies". Things like wings and compound eyes are amazing up close. I think the legs are fascinating on this guy - look how the middle right one is gripping that grass stem! Thats one of the great things with a camera to me - I have seen things in photos that I miss with the "naked eye".

Red

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Fantastic shot Red thanks.

Can these fellas regenerate limbs? I notice that he has what appears to be new growth on his rear leg where the exoskeleton hasn't quite blackened up yet?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea - I notce he appear to be missing the middle left leg altogether as well (although it may be hidden from view).

Hopefully a knowledgeable person about beetles will come along......

Red

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
No idea - I notce he appear to be missing the middle left leg altogether as well (although it may be hidden from view).

Hopefully a knowledgeable person about beetles will come along......

Red

I also presumed that the middle leg was out of shot - if not then he's a game old chuffer climbing like that whilst short of a pretty important appendage :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE