Integrating YouTube clips

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've searched on the forum and I can't quite work out how you integrate YouTube clips into your post.

When I click the video link, it just puts up a link that steers people away from the site... so how do you do it so the clip shows in the thread and keeps people here rather than opening a new tab/window?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You copy the link from the page with the video then click on the film icon in your post tools and paste the link into the appropriate space.

Just like when you post a pic :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Are you working from a home PC/mac or a mobile device?

I had issues when trying to embed video when using my tablet. It finally dawned on me to alter the m. in the video's link to www. ~ and then we were away and happy once more :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I access the site from an iMac, an iPad, an iPhone, a PC and a laptop. Depends where I am... I use most of them for work, but the PC is my pleasure computer (sounds odd) so thats what I did the post from where it came up as a text link rather than a video.

I shall have to try it with other links... maybe I've just done something daft.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Which explorer does everyone have maybe the answer. Technology needs updating as everything else is updated. There are imbed codes and allsorts that maybe missing from your browser. Other answers are hidden information type settings in your own system preerences.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
.}} the PC is my pleasure computer (sounds odd) so thats what I did the post from where it came up as a text link rather than a video.

>>>snipped<<<... maybe I've just done something daft.

have you tried wrapping the link manually?

[ video ] ~video link here~ [ /video ]

I've added spaces before and after the square brackets so it can remain visible. Otherwise the system thinks you're trying to create a link and the the wrappings disappear :eek:

Every day's a school day, it's good to learn :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That sounds simple enough. Test...

[video]https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ[/video]

And yes, I used an 8 year old meme to test it. I'm ashamed of myself so you don't have to.

Edit: That didn't work??? I'm confused.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I am trying this also

[video=youtube;dQw4w9WgXcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&amp;feature=yo utu.be[/video]

YaHay, thanks for posting OP.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Puzzled beyond belief.. How did it work perfectly for you, but mine still shows a text link :(

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
For the link copy the web url then high light a word ie link then click the hyperlink box and paste the url then hit enter job done

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
[video=youtube;dQw4w9WgXcQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ[/video]

Edit: That worked!!! Thank you guys... I was copying the link from the shared section on Youtube rather than copying the address bar link. Blimey I'm dopey! :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
glad that got worked out :D I've had struggles in the past with where the link is from, if it's mob, from one of the share buttons (but not the right one etc)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
In the 'quick reply' box you can select "Go Advanced", if you have linked the url properly then the video will show in the "Go Advanced" screen, then you will know that you have done it correctly before submitting your reply.

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE