Inside or out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Calling all ground dwellers,do you put your insulation mat or thermarest inside your bivvy bag or on the outside?What do you think is the best?
Litefoot. :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Inside, as it stops me slipping off it. Outside does have the advantage of protecting your expensive bivvy bag. (I use a cheapo army surplus mat).

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I use a standard British Army gortex bivi bag and a Fat Airic mat. I have to have the mat outside the bivi bag because with it inside I don't have enough room to move once I'm inside my sleeping bag. There simply isn't enough room in the bivi bag for everything. Either the mat goes on the outside or I do. The mat gets my vote to be out in the cold every time *LOL*

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Longstrider said:
I use a standard British Army gortex bivi bag and a Fat Airic mat. I have to have the mat outside the bivi bag because with it inside I don't have enough room to move once I'm inside my sleeping bag. There simply isn't enough room in the bivi bag for everything. Either the mat goes on the outside or I do. The mat gets my vote to be out in the cold every time *LOL*
Shame on you, cruel :lmao: Lets hear it for the mat. I think you and the mat should take it in turns, only fair surely! :lmao:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Inside, it's gotta be inside. Slipping around while you're sleeping is not fun at all.

Although, if anyone out there likes putting the pad on the outside and doesn't like slipping, all they would have to do is put some hockey tape (how Canadian is that?) in strips along the mat and it does wonders for a good nights sleep.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE