insects as food

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
watched this last night. very interesting. im even thinking of getting a net out in the summer an going grasshopper hunting. i always knew there was a reason i did it as a kid, it just took me 25 years to discover that reason

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That was a cracking program, thanks for the tip off Orric

I had never appreciated what an efficient converter of limited fluid and vegetation input insects were, or just how sustainable a protein source they could become.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That was a cracking program, thanks for the tip off Orric

I had never appreciated what an efficient converter of limited fluid and vegetation input insects were, or just how sustainable a protein source they could become.

I know right. That red ant dish at the end looked good. I've eaten ant eggs here in the UK and quite liked them. I've tried scorpion, grass hopper and crickets on my travels but the best was chocolate ants :)

watched this last night. very interesting. im even thinking of getting a net out in the summer an going grasshopper hunting. i always knew there was a reason i did it as a kid, it just took me 25 years to discover that reason

LOL pics or it didnt happen there Munkiboi :D

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
cooked woodlice go pinkish in colour! and they smell fishy, but don't taste great boiled.

snail farms! when those badgers revolt and start seeking dominion over this island, atleast I'll have a source of meat.. and soemthing to do with all this garlic butter!

Just watched it and it was great! I'm guessing you can eat anything over here aslong as you purge it for toxins and cook it properly to kill bacteria?

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Watched the programme which was interesting, but a BIG no to eating anything like that from me.

really? cooked right they all look great! the idea of a big creamy tarantula **** is a little different though.. but I'd deffinately give it a try if it was all covered in thai seasoning and cooked like those were!

I would go into pets at home and buy a few punnets of crickets to fry up but.. it feels like a gross cheat. Picking the hoppers out me garden for some reason comes across as alot more edible. Hmm.. anyone for a recipe?

I'm thinking deepfry in good oil untill crisp, then dashed in the wok with some soy, some chilli, some ginger and some thin sliced spring onions spinkled!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm squeamish and couldn't process a live chicken but I happily eat it once someone else has done the hard work. I suppose I'd get used to grasshopper McNuggets...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Frankly, if I saw the stuff that goes into sausages I'd probably never eat them again. I've eaten scampi in breadcrumbs that was reformed so eating insects in the same way shouldn't be a problem. I know plenty of people who won't eat meat off the bone so not wanting to eat insects that look like insects is understandable...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Ive tried limpets(i know they are'nt insects) and found them utterly repugnant, what can i say i like the taste of meat(chicken,beef,lamb,pork, certain types of fish) i dont like shellfish ive tried alot, prawns,lobster(was ok-ish) crab scallops just dont like the taste, id class my self as fussy rather than squimish, with most things, but unless i was starving to death i dont want to try and eat any bugs, they aint going to taste like fillet steak,or a nice roast chicken and i have (for now Mr osbourne) no need to even think about eating them.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good programme, just finished watching it. Bit confused that he bangs on about how abundant they are but then says Thailand has to import them...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Good programme, just finished watching it. Bit confused that he bangs on about how abundant they are but then says Thailand has to import them...

Yeah, I was thinking that aswell. And there isn't even a sracth of the ammount of bugs here as it's cold and wet everyday, not boiling and humid with tonnes of agricultural land to breed in. Nice concept and really interesting street food but not easily a long term idea unless full scale hyper farming took place.

If we/they eat all the bugs.. won't their birds and other animals that feed on them decrease in numbers? Same with uber krill fishing in the ocean for chum and protein pills.. the whales are gonna be starving soon if it gets bigger. (watch 'hugh's fish fight' for info on this)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE